Tuesday 8 October 2024

What a rush! 😬

Coming into Thunder Bay, we thought the municipal campground was still open, but no, so plan "B" we called another in the area, unsure if it would be ok, was I thought on the Indian reserve, so a little unsure if would be decent. I called and got a nice voice on the other end, Amanda was her name, yep we have a site here will fit you in. 

Was approaching 5pm, so yeah, we wanted to set our selves plus somewhere for the night, maybe 2. I punch in the phone for directions, and off we go. Directions said be on the other side of town, really didn't care at this point, just wanted to get settled, and this place was by the lake, looked good. 

Stopping at the first of all the red light's this road had to offer, of course Polly has to say, "ya get stopped at one, going to get stopped at them all" of course she was right 👍. Didn't matter, we didn't have long to get there the gps said. Down this road, then along this one, then over the bridge 

Oops 😬, I stopped, Polly says, are you sure? Can you make it? I look behind in the mirror's, I got 4 car's behind me, and my nose of Rambo is just about to go into what I'm really unsure if we'll fit through. I breath in deep, and slowly continue ahead looking in my mirror's one side then the other, crawling across a bridge beside another bridge, I said to Polly, I didn't know they made Bridges like this. 

I could feel my heart beating through my chest, I looked from one side to the other, then I realized I just had to go with it, and hold steady all the way to the end, then as I looked ahead, all I could see is all the scrapes and bent metal of many that hit here and there all the way along the metal guards. Holly crap, I still have to dodge the metal guards at the end, they have a bend, and so does the road, and not the same direction. 

I held it to the left as long as I could, to avoid scraping the right back end of the trailer as we cleared the outlet of the bridge. WOW, I think we made it without a scratch, but I really wasn't sure. The road after led to an intersection, turn left said the GPS, and away we went again, towards the campground. 

I have never seen so many patches, such a terrible road, then my thoughts went to all the TV reports of how terrible it is on reservation's in Ontario, I remember that clean drinking water was a huge problem, well now I'm getting a look at something else I didn't expect, roads that are worse than newfound, although most the potholes are filled, there are so many that the whole road is a patch. WOW.

We make a turn, then some more pop patchwork, and we arrive at our campground. Driving in is a really nice place, at the end of an unreal road and bridge. I parked in front of the office, and walk through the door to a very nice building. Amanda I ask, yes she said, I'm Brent, I called, yes she said, then I asked about the bridge. She said you didn't go that way did you? Oh yes I did, GPS, she explained the correct route to me, but also said that school busses go over that bridge, I'm surprised that bridge is still in operation, yet maybe not surprised. 

I'm thinking that no politician that promises the world to many has ever been over that bridge, or on the reserve here. Wow is all I got to say, looking back now I thought I'm lucky to have made it over that bridge unscratched, Polly got out and looked,I haven't yet. I'm still in shock that a bridge that narrow is still in use. Or that a road can be that badly patched and not get replaced. 

Today well have a look around here, fuel ⛽ on the reserve is always cheaper, so I'll buy it here, Amanda told me the best place to get it. She also, after I asked, told me of a route to the top of the mountain here that is right behind, or in front of the campground. I'm sure the views from there will be fantastic. As we headed to the campground, I said to Polly, I'd never notice that mountain here before, we were always at the other end of town. 

Amazing what you see when u get the closed campground & the quickest GPS route. 

I'm finishing this tonight, in a small town called Wawa, as we stay a night on our way east. 

Before we left the campground in Thunder Bay, I asked a few questions about the road, and the bridge, I gathered that the road condition is due to an accident many years ago, two first nations young people died in a high speed accident, so the council didn't want the road resurfacing done, want it patched so no high speed driving be done. As for the bridge, it just got back in use a couple years ago, an argument between CN, and town, and the native band. 

I still can't believe they have a bridge that narrow in use. I'll shake my head one more time. 

I can't believe we made it across without a scratch. Never again!

Love our life ❤️ and all the surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment