Saturday 25 May 2024

Waking early gives me time to think.


   My latest stained plater for a customer 

When I wake early I often think as I go to look at the time "Is it 4am or later ๐Ÿค”"

Well today it was before 4, 3:30, too early yet I was wide awake. Oh well, I'm going to the market today, so no woodworking this morning, just planning and taking orders for projects in next week. 

I'm getting used to the daily play making many things as the day goes on. Sometimes people stop at my display of planters and signs and ask about them, how much for this? Can you make this? Could you help me with? I'm used to it, and it feels good being productive, as well as helpful. 

A few days ago I had someone answer my add on marketplace, asking if I could make planters a certain size? Yes is always my answer, but the interesting thing about how we operate now is it's all in a message. I'm still getting used to this, learning how to quote someone a price for something I haven't yet made, creating in my mind before it becomes reality. 

This particular event became just a little more interesting when I got the information that there would be two people directing the project, with two different ideas. Hmm, I am still working on it, but that is not usual, mostly it's one person giving me the information. 

The other part of this new way of taking orders is I can, and am often, be anywhere when I'm answering the message, in my shop, at the table, in my chair, in a poker game, or of course in the can. I answer as soon as I get a message, I don't keep a ringer on on my phone, or a bell, just a slight buzz, and that's usually enough, but sometimes when I'm really busy it takes longer for me to answer as I don't hear of feel it as phone's not on me. 

I may be getting too busy, I joked with Polly yesterday, I'm going to have to take a holiday ๐Ÿ˜„. 

My legs get sore at the end of the day, yet I don't really feel it as I'm working, it's just age that catches up to me, but I keep moving, that helps me mentally, I believe it's important to keep going. This kind of work is fun, even if I'm not successful each time, having to rip something apart, as it didn't work out, that the learning that I like. Of course we all like to be successful first time, but that's just not reality. 

As I write the rooster ๐Ÿ“ crows, it's getting decent light out now, I heard the geese earlier than the rooster. I like the sounds here, always wanted to have a farm when I was younger, now I get to enjoy all of the sound's, smells, and feeling, yet I don't have to be a farmer. Lucky me. I couldn't ask for a better place to call home for a short time each year. 

Today is the Spirit Square Farmers Market at Harbour Quay, I'm going with what's left of my planters, people keep buying them! Going to have to make more stock. I also bring some sign blanks, and signs I've made, to give people an idea of what I can do with a router and interesting pieces of wood. I really like this part of woodworking, it's creative, and as with most of what I'm doing, I'm learning as I go. 

Perfection is not what I'm after with my work, mostly I'm trying to get something that looks good, as well a functional, I want it to hold together. I've had a few fails, but like I said I'm learning. 

    load and Go, today is market the day 

5:30 now, soon I can get outside and start loading, and get the just right pieces of wood for signs and all the planters all in Rambo's box, and off I'll go to enjoy another fun day at the market. Time fly's there, always someone with a question, and every once in awhile a person with an order, I have to secure a deposit from now on, some order and don't return. 

I have 2 trellis's that a lady ordered that I'll bring with me today, she works at the Quay, I'm interested to meet her, as the order came in a message, with photos, at much back and forth, one of the best interchange's I've had to get it right. I learned much from this one order.

Who said as you age you loose, you slow down a bit, but I'm busy, and enjoying this productive, fun hobby that's turned into a business.

                    Thank's Steve

Oh, yea, I got a name suggestion from my nefew yesterday, so I made up the sign, I like it I said to him, in a message. Ain't it the Way! ๐Ÿ˜‚ Message's 

I hear Polly stiring, but too early for her. I'm going to go for a walk, then load the truck. Weather is in my favor today. 

Love our life ❤️ 




No comments:

Post a Comment