Monday 10 June 2024

Planning our trip east just got a kick.


Yesterday as I watched another of Anthony Bordaine's shows, this one on India. After dinner with 2 other's they met in the cigar room for a drink and a smoke. I was surprised to see how tall Anthony (Tony he was often called) was. So off to the phone, and Google, how tall he was. 6'4" WOW, I never in all the shows I'd watched thought he was that tall. 

Of course I didn't stop googling there, I looked at his history, as he died June 8th, 2018, suicide. It shock's me, yet as he had dug addiction, not unusual. He took many of us around the world in his journeys looking for foods from every corner of the world. I've watched many of his shows, always surprised at what he finds, and how politics enter his mind as he travels. He was very aware of the difference between our standards in living and where he was taping his shows. 

Of course that wasn't it, I had to look a little deeper, and I found out where he went to culinary school. The culinary institute of America, so I looked this up, well it's a really big deal when it comes to educating chef's, and on the map I see it's not far from where we plan to stay while in New York, on the Hudson River. 

An that is how I started looking at our plans for traveling this fall. It's interesting how one small thing like observing Tony's height in a show, can lead to planning our future trip. I realized that I might want to make a few reservations ahead, although most of our travel reservations are not made too far ahead, these few places, I'm thinking now I might want to get to before the busiest places are full. 

I found a place while looking at NYC map that is really close to downtown, just a ferry ride across. Not fancy, just a parking lot kind of place, part of the marina, but from the reviews it's quite, and safe, expensive, but much cheaper than a hotel. I didn't make a call, but I will today, just see how much $$ it'll be, and if there be room for us on the days I'd want to be there.

When I start planning, more than just thinking of where we'll go, the actual making a reservation, (hmm, that's the name of Anthony's show "No Reservations") that's interesting, I'm liking the show, and also try not to have reservations! I snicker to myself now. I don't really like to make a reservation, but in some cases, when I know it'll be really busy where we are going, I do. 

We have a plan to stay at an RV park, in a huge park up the Hudson River in a town called Crotonville, the park is Croton Point park. 

Croton Park has a really good RV park 


Here I drew a line where the trains go into and back from the city, very convenient.

This will be good, and looking forward I'd like to stay for 10 days or a couple weeks there if possible. 

The other place that I found may be good for our last few days here, as very close to downtown, as I'm looking to going to the Macy's Parade at the end of November. Is a desire I've had for many years, as I've watched it on TV for years, always thought be fun to see it in person, so will do this year. 

What we want to do, we better hurry and do, as we're not getting younger, and time will run out! Leads me to think, we often say we have lots of time, yet it is finite, and we at this time in life should be doing whatever it is we'd like to do now, and we are to some degree. I grunt and groan as I get outta my chair to get my second cup of coffee ☕, might as well go for a pee, I'm up now 😂. We have to geter done now, as the ability to do what we used to is fading away.

So I plan and Polly says, I don't know, that seems like be hard to get into, that's the sound of scared that it'll be difficult, always avoid difficult is Polly's thought, me I'm more let's try this 😃, will see what we can get outta this closer to place. I like the idea of being right close to the middle of the city, I'm sure it'll be a good experience. We have been to NYC before, but didn't get to see as much as we'd like. So we go again, last time likely. 

All this and more planning came from watching a show, and wondering how tall he was! I snicker again, such is life.

Polly went for an overnight stay with her sister in Qualicum Bay, at her MH, they had a good time together as always, today she's sleeping good, was happy to be back to her own bed. 

I read this morning our weather is about to change back to cold & wet again, spring 🌱 🌼 isn't finished. Oh well, better for the forest, less fires I'm hoping this year. 

I got a request for a wishing well planter yesterday, a replacement for the one that was in front of their Mom and Dad's house for years. I started right away, hope it turns out good. Always exciting starting on something new, something I haven't built before. I was tired yesterday, but the new project got me going again, helped revitalize me. 

Today I'll finish it I hope, or at least get to the sanding part, I know it's going to rain Tuesday, and working inside the tent is ok, I'd rather be outside. 

I'm moving a little slower, but I'm above ground, and able to still do much. Fortunate to be able, some are not, and some are not here at all anymore. 

I think I'll watch another Anthony Bordaine show "No Reservations" then later I'll look into getting a reservation 😂

Love our Life! ❤️



No comments:

Post a Comment