Thursday 11 July 2024

What's in a sign? Depends on you!


I've just recently had more requests for signs as more people that are passing through see my sign posted "pick a blank I'll make you a sign". The requests are different, some an address, some a personal love message, some a message to remind themselves. I'm learning there are so many reasons for making a personal sign. 

As I watch people pick the wood they want the sign carved into, I realize some are very particular about the piece of wood they choose, and some are more interested in the saying. Lately I've been saying to them, you write it down, I'll try to emulate your printing. Capital letters all, or capital start, with lower case after. Some like my style, and want that imperfect look. 

Yesterday I had a woman that's husband kept saying as he requested a sign, and I drew what he wanted, "I'll have to go check with my wife" he left 3 different times to check with her was it ok. Yesterday they stopped as they were about to look around Port Alberni, she made a point of coming and saying thanks, that I'd done a real good job of the sign,was just what they wanted. Made me very happy to know they were both happy with it. 

I didn't expect the good feeling's I get from making something that I really like doing, having such amazing gratifying experiences with the people that took the time to choose exactly what they wanted to be carved into the right piece of wood. 
This man brought this piece of wood all the way across the country, from the great lakes to BC, then had me carve his address and the saying in it. It felt really good doing this, I was really careful not to make a mistake, as was his own piece of wood. They are from London, Ontario.

This sign was requested yesterday, a couple that was off to spend the day at the lake, great way to remember a time in your life! ❤️


This sign was for a young woman about to leave her job, she was going to Australia, the sign was for her "Boss" she said. Nice parting gift I thought. As she paid me she asked "Can I give you a tip?" Of course you know what I said, $10. Was my tip, for a $25. sign, that's tip #2 for me. I'm happy to get it, but a little surprised, makes me think I'm doing what people want making the signs. 

Today I have a project I've been working on in my head for awhile, sometimes it takes me awhile to create something that's different. I like to take time on some, as the process isn't straight forward, it's creative, and that to get it as I'd like it, and the person I'm making it for likes it to it takes time, and thought.

As I was working on this yesterday, I took the pieces and tried a fit, this way that way, then as the pieces fell away from each other, I saw what could be. As they moved apart, I realized what I was going to make it look like. 

I can't reveal yet, as I don't want to spoil the surprise for this person, but one day soon I'll be finished, then I'll write again. 

Yesterday was cooler, as the last few days were so hot I couldn't talk myself into getting out and working on anything, just to darn hot. I started off with low energy yesterday, and got going, then low energy was forgotten. 

Dinner tonight with friends, friend's we've known a long time. Be nice, Polly has been getting it all together, I love watching her put together a dinner, creating it is a pleasure for me to watch. I get to lick the beater's, and spoons too 😁

Almost 7am now, still too early to start on anything, I have to always be careful about noise too early and too late, not like the rooster 🐓 he gets to crow early, nobody tells him he can't! 

Coffee ☕#2 now, off igofor a walk before it gets too hot. 

Loving this life of ours ❤️ 

Polly's up now, and the day begins 😀

No comments:

Post a Comment