Tuesday 24 September 2024

My blog is slow now, did I write too much?

I'm not sure what's happening, if I have over written here or just something wrong I can't figure out? I was going to start another blog on another site, but it's just too much screwing around trying to start again, so I'm writing this one simple, with one photo, well maybe a couple more, to see if that's the problem, adding too many photos, or the size of the photos? 

We had a really good visit with Derek our Nefew in Moosejaw. Derek works at the railroad so I asked if he'd take me for a look around, and show me what he did. He gave me a great look around at the railyards, best he could without getting into the shop, as everywhere now not wanting outsiders in the operation. 

Derek explained how the trains came in, where they built a train, I had never thought of it like this before. His job was repairing the train locomotives, and maintaining them. He now has a different job, he prepares the locomotives, fuel's them, check's them out, brakes, engine, all that is needed, then assembles the locomotives together, as often two or three together to pull, or push a trailer. He has a word they use, I can't remember right now, that describes the process. (Such a set of joined locomotives is called a consist or (colloquially) "lash-up" and is said to be "MUed together".) I looked 👀 it up.


Then after, another group of people build the train, they place the cars that are going to wherever together with the engines in place before the train travels. We'd hear them every morning, and evening, boom, bang, clanging until it was together, then a whistle, and away it went to the east or the west, or even to the USA. 

I learned so much about the trains 🚂 here talking with Derek as we moved from place to place, telling me how the process went. From what he called the top end, where the locomotives pulled and pushed the car's apart, and pushed them together, and as we went by there was 4 cars just rolling by, nothing pushing them, they roll them along, and they'll bang into the next cars, hooking up as they build a train. 

The fuel station is where all the work Derek does happens, fuel up, empty bathroom's, check all the mechanical, and ready them for the next pull. CPKC is the name of the company he works for, a combination of Canadian Pacific & Kansas City, a combination of the two companies, CP bought KC. There train's run all across Canada, into the states, and even into Mexico. Big company.

After the tour, we got a call from Polly, dinner was ready, so home we went for a rib dinner, with Chocolate pie for dessert 🥧 😋 Mmm. Getting home, Polly had it all arranged, was a very nice spread, as we sat down for dinner a deer came walking by eating it's dinner we thought. Was a really good day, and cards after was fun, we played cribbage, and Derek won for a change, Polly had been winning all the games before. 

Our visit with Derek was really good, he appreciated us stopping in, and we loved seeing him. Nice when it all works out so good. Till we come again Derek, thanks for the hospitality, we will be back for sure. 🤗❤️

Love our life of travel ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment