Saturday 17 February 2024

How fortunate we are.

          I need more honey, Honey!

Polly and I went grocery shopping Friday evening as less people then at Fry' plus we get 4x the points for our fuel discount we were informed by Pat, so let's try it. We've learned to turn and go behind the store and around the other side where it's less busy to get in and out of parking. On our way past we see this black truck we have seen before, camper on it, with a flat deck trailer towed behind parked close to the back corner of the building. Looks grubby, kinda beat up, and we had seen it here before a couple time's, just this time it was different. Pulled up wheels right up to the curb, in what's a difficult way to backup. We didn't think to much on the way in, just a comment that there it is again. They're staying the night.

We park, go in and get our groceries,  always joking with each other, about something, and get all we need as we travel between the isles, Polly always moving ahead this time, as I stop here and talk with someone, and then again, meet the newfies we met while walking by at Sundance. Finally I met up with Polly again at the vegetable area, "get some brea, you pick it out." Polly says, then off we went to checkout. Shopping always an experience 🛒🚶‍♂️🚶‍♀️Polly shopping, me just lookin around.

On our way out of the store we go towards the door we came in and another couple is coming towards us, they say "can't get out that way, doors closed, they close them at 7pm"  We've never shopped this late here before, we didn't know. So out the main door,  and make our way to the truck. We load all the groceries on the back seat, and floor, then off we go home. 

As Polly was getting into the truck I noticed the parking lot was almost empty,  and say "we got to do this all the time, almost nobody here at this time" then I noticed a little red car in the parking lot with a blanket over the front window, tucked into the doors and some boxes or something on top. I know, as we have seen this before, somebody is staying the night in the car, and thinking now I realize their not just staying the night, they are living in their car. 

It was a very small red car, and I said to Polly as pointed out the car to her, how fortunate we are to be living as we are. 
We started on our way home, behind the store again,  and past the truck with camper, and trailer,  and I see a guy at the back of the camper as we go by, he closes the door. There's water on the ground all around the camper. Yep there staying night here again. 

I say to Polly it's odd how they are parked, like they are there to plug in or something, as getting so close to the building. The trailer has pallets, and junk in the back, a way to possibly scrape out a living im thinking. 

On the other side of the lot there's a couple of newer motor homes, parked for the night. Then I think how really fortunate we are, as these people are just one step away from on the street living. 
I say to Polly now that I remember a saying "But for the grace of God, goes I" 
I don't believe god, but I do see the sadness in our society now, how so many are living with so little, when our society has so much. 

People believe government should "fix it" do more, make it right. I'm not sure the people in government can, or even really want to. I just know what I've seen, in all corners of our travels, homelessness is a growing trend.  

We talked on our way home about it, about how we both were fortunate to be born in a country that had a decent living possible, if you worked for it, and how we both did. Our talk became a realization that as we already knew, how fortunate we were. 

Yet I believe many of the people on the streets did too, started out with a future,  and worked and had some good times. I believe many have fell on hard times, and just have no path leading them to a better life. Everyone has a story, yet as we look around, many of the stories are being told out in public, on the streets. 

Polly says as we talked "it's hard to believe with so much work available that people are living like this". Polly got offered a job last night as we were shopping, of course she declined, but that's about how easy it is. I believe many living in their cars, are working, just can't afford the rents as the going rates are unbelievable. 

Was a different shopping trip, and left me thinking. I didn't take photos, I have the scenes in my mind, very well imprinted.  I've seen it before, but somehow it struck me hard yesterday, harder than ever before.  

We are fortunate to wake in our trailer safe, warm, coffee ☕️ in hand, of course we had to do the very hard work of brewing it. Phone in hand, connected to the internet, maybe that's why the camper was so close to the building, internet? 

Who knows,  but I'm happy we are living as we are, at the same time, I'm sad people are living so poorly. Could it be worse? Yes I believe it could be. Will I do anything about it? Not likely. Is that the problem, that we don't care enough to do anything? I mean society? All of us? 

Deep thoughts, I laugh to myself now. Even too deep do me. 

Yesterday morning after Polly was awake awhile she asked me "do you want bacon and eggs today?" It didn't take a long thought process to get to "Yes, thanks" I shouldn't be surprised,  yet I was a little for some reason. Gifts we give each other in life, aren't we fortunate. And on life goes, one gift after another. 

I don't take em for granted, life could be a whole lot different. 

Love ❤️ our life!







No comments:

Post a Comment