Wednesday 11 November 2015

Rememberance Day


Today we had an opportunity to remember all those people that worked toward freedom in our world. I wok early as usual, but having worked late, had to get back to sleep till just before 8am. Polly brought me a coffee, and scared me as she thought I was awake, but I was right out and wok to her close to my face saying "Here is your coffee dear". I sat up after awhile, and Bosco came over and we had our usual talk, and pet. He was quiet as per usual. TV now on and news had the Remberance Day ceremonies on from back east. Was a good show till the broadcaster asked a younger vet "what did it feel like knowing you left others behind overseas... What a question. He started to try to answer, and I turned it off. How do you answer that, gezzz.  

I got up and opened the blinds, and it was a beauty day out, "Yes" I said allowed, I will go to the cenotaph today, I want to be there and see and hear the service. Polly said she has a sore back, and won't  go, I understand, not fun standing with a sore back. I like the service, it makes me think. We all need to be present on this day, and think about how lucky we are having the freedom to choose what we read, what we think, and what we say and do. Today is a great day to thank those that have fallen for our freedoms.

I drove a short distance as I was later than usual, but the traffic was slow so I pulled off at the old gas station close to town, and walked the rest of the way. As I approached the mass of people surrounding the cenotaph 6 planes flew over in formation, I had the camera, but chose to look and take it in rather than get a shot. Wow was that ever nice, Ottawa only had 2 jets, I felt privileged to have 6 beauty older airplanes fly over our small town.

Things got under way as soon as I got into the crowd, and very soon we were all observing the silence. It was so quiet, there was some traffic going by, but mostly I noticed the quiet from the crowd. I stayed in one place with the sun at my back, and a young family beside me with children than didn't really understand what was going on, but they behaved, and they were there. Many people of different ages, and different people, all in one place remembering in their own way. Was powerful.

Soon the quiet was over, and the speeches started and people listened intently, and I'm sure we all thought of what was given for us to be able to gather here today. We listened as people told us of men who went overseas, and never made it home. We heard again In Flanders Fields, and I never get tired of hearing this.

Once the speaking was over, and the wreaths were laid, people started to leave. Charlie a friend from Ladysmith Camera Club came over, and we had a good talk. Was a great day to be outside, and talk and remember.  I told Charlie how much I liked last Saturdays group talk on Nikon cameras, and how I had been trying out a few of the things we studied.

Yes today was one of the real good ones. Now we have a date with friends Americo and Claudette in Lantzville, at the pub for a late lunch, and a good yak. We always have fun when we get together, and today was no different. We were later than they thought we would be, and they were hungry, Americo had to replace food with beer till we arrived, but hugs and kisses, and off we went with our laughing, and stories as we haven't seen each other for awhile, and many things just had to be shared.  The part I didn't want shared was that I had got tickets for us to see Headly in May for Polly's Birthday. Claudette said "how much do I owe you for the tickets?" Oh well, "Happy Birthday Polly" I said, and all was well. We ate, talked, joked, and just had so much fun again, as we always do. Then as we left they had some chanterelle mushrooms for us, and we were off for a walk to the beach, and showed them someplace they hadn't been before. Yep, was a nice day for all of us.  

On the way home we stopped in at Wal-Mart and got a few things, I got some pictures for the weekend as Memere my mother-in-law turns 96, and I told her I would show her pictures from our trip. She likes the printed pictures, so I got 170 pics and she will love to look and hear of our experiences. Next 2 weekends planned, and soon the month will be over, and we will be close to Christmas. Man the year sure went fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment