Sunday 12 March 2017

Fort Stockton to San Antonio


First I want to correct a mistaken identity made last post. Again I learned something.
The animal Polly photographed was a Barbary Sheep, not a Big Horn Sheep as posted.
Thanks to Matthew Henry for the informed identification. Did a little studying the differences when I looked up which is which, Thanks Matt.

Fort Stockton to San Antonio was a better trip as we planned where we would go well ahead, and stopped often enough that we were rested for the tense drive through the rush hour traffic late in the afternoon. There was some construction in the city, but not bad, we managed, and Polly and Bosco were quiet to help me with concentration, and the GPS worked flawlessly.

Huge rock cut in the Hwy one of many on our way to San Antonio

 Braunig Lake RV Resort is a beauty place to hang our hat for a few days as we look around San Antonio. There is a big pond in the middle of the park that ducks and geese like to stay for awhile as they head north. Fish in it too I have been told, Bass, have yet to cast a line though.


Egyptian Geese I was told these are, they will stay and nest here



We noticed on the drive the change from desert to a greener more like the coast kind of brush and trees. All are in that spring young bright green colour, feels nice here, humid and more like what we are used to, even the water is like at home, no more calcium in the taps, or odd taste.


One of the interesting self converted motor homes, love the deck on the back


First stop was Texas Roadhouse for dinner as were advised was a good place to eat, Oh and it was. We had to wait at the bar with a pager for about 1/2 hour but it was worth the wait, besides met some interesting people while we waited. Dinner was good, steak and shrimp for me and fried chicken for Polly. As we waited for our dinner I asked for a taste of there chili and they brought a small taster for both of us, Wow real good will have that next time we go. Nice way to end a good day, sleep came fast today, was an early get up, and a long day.


Geese are not afraid of people, they just waddle away slowly.

Saturday we get up later, and go for a walk with Bosco around the lake in the park. A few fishermen, and many ducks, and a few geese on the pond, and on the grass. Many of these local birds like crows, plentiful as our crows at home, but make many odd sounds. People here are used to it but we find it fun to listen to them.



Female of these crow like birds that are every where here


Polly AKA Robin and Batman ready to go
San Antonio’s Traders Village was today’s destination, and we got an early jump on most people were there by about 11am. People were just opening when we got there, and more opened as we walked. Was Toy Fair & Comic Con today, and many interesting things to see, especially the Super Hero figures dressed in there costumes.



Spider-man and his friend?









Cat Woman
We didn’t buy much, another key for the trailer, and a Bluetooth speaker for the phone... Another thing for me to figure out how to get it to work. Was a good day, Bosco stayed in the truck (no dogs) but we had a sunless morning, but warm to walk around, and gave Bosco a good walk after to make sure he was alright for the ride back to our trailer.
The eyes have it here
In the afternoon we pulled the chairs out to the sunny spot in front of the trailer and caught some of the warmest rays in the day, and of course a few beers. Was nice to sit back and enjoy what was left of the day. After Polly and I had talked ourselves out she said I’m going to marinade the pork for the stir fry, and leaves Bosco and I to talk with each other. Hmm, Bosco doesn’t talk much so I decide to wax the truck with a cleaner wax I got some time ago and have wanted to try again. I went at it furiously and got about 3/4 of the truck done when Polly showed up and says how nice it looked, she volunteered to help, so it
began, Brent Wax on, Polly Wax off. Was a smooth operation, and
soon we were finished, and so was the sun. Truck sure looked good, and I came to the conclusion that this may be my way to keep in shape as we continued on as was a real good workout, will tackle the trailer next time.

Darth Vader X Three
Dinner was good as per usual with Polly cookin. I did the dishes for a change, and we sat on the couch, Polly read, and I researched where we would go next. On Facebook I get asked where next, what are your plans. We are on our way south toward South Padre Island area Monday to visit you and see where your new to you place is. We are connected, nice... Now I research for the next stop, Port Arthur we stop to visit with someone I know from long ago. Will be interesting, life is interesting here as on Vancouver island.
Shot of how packed it was
Sunday weather has changed, cooler and had some rain last night, and wind. We decide to shop today, and stay home for the afternoon, we go to Walmart anmd get groceries, and a few other things. Polly sees an opportunity to get her toe nails done, so I walk Bosco and have a little lunch at McDonald's, boy long time since I have eaten here, Filet fish I say, w chips and a coffee... Mmmm good as I remember, and watch all the Walmart go-ins on, man not my cup of tea here, but was good to eat, and read a little on the phone.

The Flash
I take a few chips left and give them to Bosco before I take him for a walk, he was happy. I get back in and Polly is just about ready to go, just need to get some beer she says, now that is my department... All beer here is like low cal, 4.2 4.3 percent, Lite or just American, not sure, but get some I like, and away we go after a long checkout. Nice day to take it easy and no big travel. Tomorrow a travel day, ready again for a move.

Loving life here in Texas...

No comments:

Post a Comment