Tuesday 28 March 2017

Fun with Lee Ann and Spud Brown at Grove, Texas



How did we make it here to Grove, Texas? I know we drove, but what made us make the turns and put on the brakes to be exactly here? Facebook, Hmm I think this is what has connected us! I knew Lee Ann lived in Texas, and I think it was through my sister Joy that I learned this, but Facebook is what connected us a few years ago, and since we have kept track of each other at a distance. I didn’t know here husband Spud, or much about Lee Ann’s life, neither did Paulette. That has changed now as we had such a good visit here in the Port Arthur area, and Grove where they live.

Lee Ann knows we are coming, and we text through FB, and then exchange numbers and text and talk so we know when and how long we will stay, and where we will be. Polly asks me to ask Lee Ann about a hair cut and colour job, I give here the phone and Lee Ann says
“So you want a Big Texas Do, How big do you want to go” LOL yep that was the girl I remember, with an accent that didn’t fit my memories.

It’s decided Friday 1pm is the best day for the hair appointment, and spaghetti dinner that night at there place. We pull into Port Arthur RV Resort Thursday and set up, I have a swim in the Texas shaped pool and relax in the sun for awhile, then we head to get a few groceries. Quiet evening, and in the morning we take it slow, no rush, retired hey!

Texas shaped pool at Port Arthur RV Resort

We drive to the address given by Lee Ann, she is very good about making sure I know exactly where to go, and what the place looks like, we spot it right away as 2 big palms outside front of Posh hair shop.
I park in the back as told, and we walk in. As we said before, we haven’t changed at all, and what a great big hug we got, and was a fun meeting. Lee Ann introduced us to here co workers, and her customers, was like being home. Polly stayed, I went toward the fuel place, then to get the headlight replaced, all went well, then home to give the trailer a good clean out, as been holding stuff under the desk for just too long.

After a few hours Lee Ann brings Polly back, a New Woman, beauty job of Polly’s hair. We sit and talk and get to know each other a little more, as we are in our air conditioned trailer. The weather here is warm today, and we know to stay inside, or go to the pool. Much information was shared over an hour or so, Lee Ann had to keep saying to me “As I told Polly” as they had spent the last couple hours talking as the hairs were being transformed. Was a nice way to meet, very relaxed.

Lee Ann went home, and told us come when we can, Spud will be off about 6 or so.

That night we went to Lee Ann and Spud Browns for Spaghetti dinner and get to know each other, and share some past times. Was laid back, we got to meet Spud, who likes to smoke (even if Lee Ann doesn’t want him to) and play Harmonica, as well as Guitar, very talented, and a real joker. There dog Hanna, who is full of energy, and loves to chase squirrels, which there are many around. There home was a beauty, and they told us the story of how it came to be changed from 10 foot ceilings to 8 ft, with an upstairs that we could sleep in if we stayed the night.

Dinner was good, and after out came the school annuals, and all the memories that come with it, Polly and Lee Ann were first to start in on them as I went outside with Spud after dinner. Then when we came back in the memories were on, “Oh do you remember him, her, Oh yea, and wonder where they are, and saw her the 40th, and she wasn't there, he died, and she is gone. All the things you do after 4o years of not seeing each other. Polly even though she was not in school at the time we were, could share as she knew many of the people and teachers we did. Was a fun time, but Spud was left out of this time. I felt bad about this, but once the books came out we had to go over them. Was a good night.








Pool I never took a dive in, a first for me.



BBQ was great, met many of Spud and Lee Ann’s friends, and food was Mmmm good, especially the ribs, and squishy bread and sausages. We talked and drank a few, and got to know each other. We talked so much that pictures were last on my mind till Spud says “I think it’s time we get in the man cave and take a picture” If you know the man cave then you know how funny this was. Spuds Man cave is the bathroom off the pool deck, with a blackboard on one wall, a toilet, and a sink. To get all 10 of us in there would have been fun, so I go get the camera. No movement to the man cave, but I got a couple pictures of Spud & Lee Ann’s friends with a few practice shots, all were happy and sharing stories all night. What a fun BBQ, and then the food began. Never got a shot of food, once we started eating, again I ate talked, and enjoyed the time we were together. Stories were flying around, and people had a fun time, was such a fun night.

Planning ahead we asked to stay the night and there was a bed available as we are no drink and drive! Had a good nights sleep, and I was awake early, once I heard someone moving around, up I got and coffee was on and we could talk and plan our day. Spud had a Legion meeting to go to, so breaky was next french toast and sausage patties, was good.



How to put in all words? What hospitality, fun, friendships, and top it all off a tour of places that mean so much to them from young to now. Wow is how I say it, Polly says was a really nice weekend, we got treated like a King and Queen. Thanks to Lee Ann & Spud Brown, and there friends, who we got to know at the BBQ that was so much fun.



Thanks for the fantastic weekend, as Polly said, when you make it to our neck of the woods, we will have to meet up and share some more, this time we will do some cooking (well Polly will), I’ll serve the beer and drinks.

Loving it here in Texas, but leaving for Louisiana tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment