Tuesday 13 June 2017

Sturbridge MA to Sydney NS



Sturbridge MA, to Sydney NS, 841 miles, in 2 days... Wow what full driving days.

Didn’t plan it that way, but once I got behind the wheel, and realized that if we made it from Saint John to Sydney in one day we could have a rest day, well away we went. Was a nice drive as drives go, not too much traffic, and fairly good roads made this a pleasurable experience. The road to Saint John from Sturbridge was an older road, and could use an update. They call it a truck route, but the road from the boarder toward Saint John was a beauty, a real joy to drive, but into USA was not nearly as good. Polly and I talked about this and came up with that the states didn’t want the trade on that route, like they didn’t talk before the Canadians went to town on the road, as much different once you cross the boarder. Still was nice for us as less traffic, and an easy drive.
We stayed at Rockwood RV Park in Saint John, NB. Was a nice place to stay, right in the middle of the city, and easy to get into, and out of, with a nice view I didn’t discover till the next morning. I met a couple that were beside us that evening as they set up, and we talked politics, and they were from Maine, had 90 acres there, and had 248 acres in Cape Breton. Wow I said what do you have so much land for? They hoped to make some trials on the land in Canada, and build a house, just in case they had to escape USA. They have now decided to just camp there and enjoy the peace and quiet. Wow I still think way too much land. He is 71, and still wants to replace the roof on his home in Maine for the 3rd time, she says No, so he begrudgingly will have someone else do the job. They were interesting to talk with, they go to Canada every month or so during the warm times, as they have to come back to cut grass and keep there house in shape. Just a little too much back and forth for me, I say I like to look around the country, not have to head back to a house.






Now on to Sydney NS, and we head out the earliest since we started this adventure, we were on the road at 8am bright and early as we never unhooked, just had to put the water hose and the electric cord away, and pull the jacks up and off we went. Traffic was minimal at this time, and never got at busy all the way to Sydney. We drove till lunch, and stopped, had a sandwich, a nap and off again. All was good till I made a left that was against the GPS and Polly’s advise, and that got us around the lake to where we were going but just a little longer route. Then when we did get almost to where the GPS had us going I stopped and looked at the campsite name @#$%^ & Wrong place! OK reset and back track about 20 KM’s and we get to our RV Park, the one we passed and I said would be nice to stay there.
This is a beauty place with a view of the inlet, and a grassy hill out the window, and the painted deck chairs you see in the pictures of here. Wow did it feel nice to be stopped and have a day off driving tomorrow, to do a bit of shopping and just relax. A no drive day was what I wanted today before we got on the ferry.

Got a day to look around here, and was it ever nice. First walk I had in the morning with Bosco we spotted a fox, a bushy red fox. Was nice to see, but no camera this time, will always be looking for another shot of one of these, but this one would have been so good. He was all fluffed up as was real cold this morning, and looked great. I got the memory, but would of liked the shot. I took another walk there in the afternoon, but no luck, just a nice walk.









Vacuum with a view..


Where Bosco and I saw the fox

Other side of the tracks


Just getting to be spring here now

Bever path here


Church across the pond


Back of the property before the rail tracks

Bosco smelling the Dandelions 

Polly and I went to the Walmart again, looking for some goods, she found out no groceries here so went to Sobys for the real food, and she got all she needed. I went and got fuel at a station by the water, and found a spot where you could vacuum out your ride and have a water front view at the same time. Never have I seen this anywhere, was so cool. Love this little spot right in North Sydney Harbour.
I then went to the liquor store to get some beer and wine and saw a woman with a coat on that had Scaffolding written on it and I said, My son is a scaffolder, in Alberta. She says My husband is a scaffolder here, he works all around this area. Oh yea, nice to be close to home I say. She says he has to be, we fish Lobster too, so he has to be close. Wow, Now I ask her if she can recommend a place to get some fresh Lobster.... Well don’t I get lucky, she says if we want some she would call her hubby and see if he could supply. She gets on the phone, and well we got 2 lobster coming this afternoon, she even says she will deliver them to our campsite. I ask how much, and she says $7.00 a pound. Great I say and deal is done, I give her my card, tell her what our truck looked like, she knows where were are camped, and says will see you at 2pm.

Wow I can’t believe how fast that happened, and how lucky we were. I tell Polly when I pick her up, and she said she was looking at getting some for $10.99 a pound, but decided no. We drive home saying how good it worked out. We wanted to have lobster tonight, and we are, fresh ones.

Last beer from Philly





Last of these, now Finnish the Busch, and on to Canadian beers..


Polly made a sandwich for lunch, and I sat in the maritime chairs outside and had my last Yuengling beer that I had become accustom to, made in Philadelphia, sure is good beer. Bosco liked the cheese I shared with him. It was so warm out, just loved the way today was going, cold beer yummy sandwich.
Now for a snooze, Bosco and I head in to bed. I wake and wonder if the woman had been here while I was out, Polly says no. I lay back down, and a little later the woman and her husband show up later than she said, apologising for the lateness, and we say no problem, all good. When I go to give them the loot, “No” they say, “Don’t worry about it!” What?

No, Tom says “Just chalk it up to Cape Breton Hospitality” I will never forget this... Really floored me.

We thank them over and over, and before we know it they are gone, wouldn’t even take a beer, just like Superman, off in a flash!

After we got the lobster comfortable in the bottom of the fridge as we were told to do if we weren't going to cook them right away. Polly, Bosco and I sat outside and had a couple beer (None for Bosco) and talked the afternoon away, the sun was warm, and we just enjoyed our time to talk, sure was a nice afternoon. One of those days where all was well, and life is so good.

Later Polly went to get things ready for dinner, and Bosco and I go for a walk, looking for that fox again. When we got back Polly boiled the water, and together we dunked the lobsters in the boiling water, cooked up the lobster, and we ate our fill of the freshest lobster we have ever had. We called and left a message on Toms machine, and said thanks again, just couldn’t believe how this lucky welcome to the Maritime’s came our way. The sun was shining in, and was a warmer evening tonight, we sat and watched a little TV and enjoyed the sun shining on the water out the back of the trailer.

Yep Life is good here in Cape Breton... Tomorrow, Newfoundland “The Rock”

Lovin this east-coast beauty...




No comments:

Post a Comment