Tuesday 6 February 2018

Yuma, Our first weeks adventures


Donkeys we saw near Parker came to the car for a handout

Mountains so steep here

Our trip here from Quartsite was short, but packing up & and setting up is same it takes time, and there is always anticipation, and some nervousness. Once we get on the road, we both talk, at first about how it feels good to be moving again, and then about what we liked about where we were, then about what we look forward to. Seeing familiar faces is always a good feeling, and Don and Chris, & Rob and Dawn we stayed with last year, so will be fun surely. Polly has known them for years, me I'm still a newbie to the group, but that never stops me from having fun.

The desert we pass is mostly bleak looking, mountains in the distance look beautiful. the sun shining and warm, the cars, trucks, and RV's passing. Traffic is steady but slower paced. 2 lane highway, and you can see miles ahead of you most time. Polly likes this kind of travel, no tenseness, everything can be seen for miles, and seems like no surprises could, or would jump out. GPS is on even though we don't need it, we both like to see on the screen what changes on the road ahead, so always on when we travel now. So much nicer than using a map all the time, but we still manage to take a wrong turn, but we know that we can find our way out of anywhere, as we have many times before.

Bosco jumps down as I write, and does a few back and forth on the floor, "Hmm whats with you I say?" He still won't talk, darn dog, I pat his bed beside me and he jumps up, I give him a squeeze and say "Whats with you? No hug and greeting this morning, yes I guess I missed that this morning." So I give him his hug, and pet him and tell him all is good, and he lays down again, as happy and content as can be, and as close to me as possible, a little  chilly in here this morning. Back to sleep!

As we get closer to Yuma we pass an army base Yuma Proving Ground it says, not sure what that is, but will take a look while we are in Yuma. Not long after we miss a turn, and get a little off course as we approach Yuma, we make the next left and get back on track quickly, we are now in farming country, and it happened fast, from desert to vegetables and orchards as fast as a snap of the fingers, WOW such a difference. Then over a small hill, and we have housing, and all in a few miles the landscape changes. Now we talk about how the water diversion has changed this area. Without the water diversions in the Colorado river, none of this would be here, just desert as before. Still shaking my head thinking about this.

A detour now as we make our way to the foothills area, and we make our way through a subdivision, and check out the nice houses, while we pull our trailer. Always something new, we have gotten used to this, and we laugh as we go. The unexpected is what we like I think, as we both seem to be OK with a change we don't expect, and just adds a little change to the scenery. Now back on track, and we get to our RV Park, Fortuna De Oro, in what is called The Foothills, in Yuma. This is about as far east as Yuma goes, and close to the mountains, close Interstate 8. Home for a month or so.

I leave the truck run, AC on, and head into the office to check in. Line up of others, hmm not liking this already, and a man with a resort logo on his shirt says "You checked in?" "No I say, but I do know my site #, so could go and come back later" Great, and off we go as I learn again how to avoid the lengthy lineups that suck the goodness out of me as I know me well, and lineups are a killer for me. He gets in his little cart and says "Follow me" and off we go as Polly says "Gee that didn't take long" I explain as we make our way to our site, and all is good.

A back in site and there is lots of room, so he shows us which one, leaves us to make the in and out back up, with a few in and out of the truck checks, but this time actually goes well, we both comment later how easy it went. Setting up can be very stressful, and as we go both Polly and I are working toward making this easier. This time was good.

The girls are home, and the boys are at Poker as we setup, time for a "Hi how you doin" before we get too setup. Is nice to see familiar faces. We finish our setup, and get all where it should be, then a little lunch, and then go register. No lineup this time, gee that worked just perfect. When I get back the boys have returned winners, Rob did best today, and we now have the traditional Happy Hour, and sit between the trailers in the shade and yak it up for awhile, feels good.

Our first evening in Yuma

Many lights in front of RV's here
As the week goes on we have a few things we want to get done while we are here, Polly always wants to get groceries, me beer, next was a wash and wax on the truck and trailer, and that I set for  Thursday. Tuesday boys went to Poker at noon, the girls went to water aerobics, later in the afternoon we compared notes. I won today, actually we all did, was a nice way to start our first full day there. As for the girls, was good but Polly wants to get some flotation exercise equipment, which she ordered and came to the door a few hours later, she was surprised how quick.


We spent the week very relaxed, and did some walking around, Chris usually in the lead, as she is our walking pace setter. The Lunar Eclipse was early this morning, Polly woke me to get a few nice shots, was a good clear view we had.

Camera shook a little here


Just as sun was about to set

 We went to dinner at Eats a Chinese Buffet on Wednesday, and was real good food.



Trailer got done on Thursday as planned, and turned out very good, sure need it. Groceries we have fetched at least 3-4 times, beer needs a refill today. We went to the Yuma Market Sunday morning, was not too much bought, but boy those women can shop. I sat with the boys after our look around, and played cards, easier on me as wasn't into buying anything today.







Rob and I attended the Superbowl Party, at the saloon on Sunday was fun.

That's our first week here, laid back time, nothing earth shattering. Will look at getting a new chairs/couch? this Wednesday as we take the day and look around Yuma.


Polly wants to book a show, Blues Brothers for next week, but yet to do. Dance this weekend for Valentines is Saturday, should be fun. Oh and I forgot to mention we did attend one Happy Hour at the pool this week, was fun, they have them every day. Just cant do everyday yet, have to wok into that I guess... LOL

Loving this life!  Not a holiday, Nope, This is our life now! Sure is nice...



No comments:

Post a Comment