Saturday 16 January 2021

I killed my tablesaw


Looking kinda inocent in the photo, this table saw has been through so much. I have not been easy on this old saw, it has been good to me. Loads of power for a small saw, light to move around, and cuts most anything I can put through it until I gave it it's final push, and crash it jammed tight, breaker kicked, and that was it. It still turned when I set the breaker and tried again, but the growling noise let me know I was done with this saw. 
Luckly I had another saw standing by I had just got from a friend that would do for now. 
Upon setting it up I realized that it was not much better. After a little mucking around, and the end of my day came, I came in and Polly said " Why don't you just buy a new one?" 
Lol 😂 now that is the question I was asking myself even as I was puttering trying to make one good saw out of the two I had. Still I laugh to myself as I write this, why? Why do I try to repair rather than just buy new? 

That question is something I often ask myself internally as I bugger around with whatever is broken. Cost? Just like this one? Don't want to throw it away? I can repair this? So many reasons I give myself, but this time I'm giving in.

 Saw be gone! Poof 💭

And Voila a new saw appears 
 I have ordered one from Home Depot, a Ridgid table model, no stand, when I get it I'm going to build a shelf at the end of my bench, and attach it so when I use it I will have the bench for the outfeed, that has always been a problem with the table saw in the past. Dangerous to continue dealing with wood coming out the other side of the saw and trying to hold onto it over the running saw blade. 

Once I made the decision to buy, and started searching online for what I wanted, then watched a few reviews on YouTube I started getting articles on my news feed about tablesaws. I read a few, then one caught my eyes full. 👀 

It was about tablesaw safety. I read it through and realized I have been lucky to get away with my fingers doin what I have been with that little powerful saw. 
Never to late to change I say, and that's what I'm doing. New saw, new operation, same operator 😄 

I have now read 3 best practices articles, learning what I knew before, but ignored. One thing that really hit me was an article that started with 4700 accident's where appendages, fingers plus more, are removed by tablesaws every year. Article written likely about USA stats, but still it hit me hard. I do not want, can not loose, will not loose any appendages. 
So now with a new saw coming, and a new plan for where it goes, as well as new operation I'm really looking forward to my projects 😊 a little differently. 

Thinking 🤔 I will have to move the bench a little, as the way the saw mounts will be better at the left side of the bench, and that would put me outside the workshop, so wanted to finish the bench off anyway, this gives me reason to change it up. 

I laugh again, work shop, 10'x10' tent alongside our trailer lol, well it's working,

 
and I'm getting some things built, as well having fun. Just wanna make sure I don't hurt myself in the process. Planning ahead will make sure that doesn't happen. 

I do remember a man that was a maintenance head supervisor that just as he was aproching retirement he buzzed off 3 fingers. I thought, how the heck could he do that? Well easily I think now, not me, I'm no going to take the chance. 

That's my thoughts today, as the rooster 🐓 crow's this morning here at Arrowvale 😊 going to be a beautiful day hey 😁🤗

Loving this Life ❤️ with all my fingers 😊


No comments:

Post a Comment