Wednesday 14 April 2021

The beauty of Woodworking while traveling

We have not been traveling for awhile, and most RV type people have been grounded too. Last year when we returned from our summer traveling we went to our friends house and picked up or mail, as well as some of my woodworking tools. Thanks for storing them Americo, and thanks for keeping our mail Claudette. I didn't know then how that would make my winter shorter, and so much more interesting as we had to stay put, rather than head south. 

No regrets, South is nice, but if we have to stay put, let's enjoy what turns your crank. 

Wood is what I've been involved in with my job for most all my life, but working with it was something I knew I liked, but never took the time to really enjoy the whole love of creating beautiful wooden projects, until now. This winter I created many beautiful wooden projects. Some small, and some bigger. All with love, as well as the imperfections of a learning woodworker.
 
I belonged to a Union, IWA International Woodworker's of America. I was proud to be a member, and enjoyed working in the logging camp I did. Even in the rain, snow & heat, I did like working in the bush. After many changes and the logging camp closing down, I went to work in a sawmill, Chemainus sawmill. 

I learned about wood again, in a different way now. Much closer looking at wood here. The decisions we made here made $ for the company, and in return for us. I learned so much from so many people. Was a very good experience. Still I didn't really work with wood at home. 

A few small projects, but working and other obligations seemed to take priority. Now retirement gave me the time, but travel took priority, and I still love it. 

Being told to stay put gave me the time to really create something I never thought of before. 

I bought a few more tools, and small projects turned into bigger, and most with hand tools and some thought how to.

I have to thank my friend Andrew Schmidt for his help aquiring wood from a mill close, ods and sods, leftovers that were to be discarded. Before he cut them up for firewood he let me pick though and I got a good supply. Most was too wet to use right away, by a few pieces he gave me were dry, and I could use right away. Gave me a good source to use. 

I still have a few thick, clear pieces of red cedar left, will creat a table out of them, not sure where I'll use it yet. And a few beautiful pieces of yellow cedar that I will make something out of. But also in all this wood, and the time to create has been a gift. As well as a campsite that allows me to make what I do in my shop/tent. 

       Bosco was helping me this day πŸ˜‰

Not much of a shop, but enough for me to stay dry, and dry my lumber so in spring I can make the final projects. The next few weeks I will be working hard to get the final wood pieces used up, and enjoy the creation process. 

Sometimes it takes me a long time before I start on what I want, but the final results are just what I wanted when completed. 

As I am using up the wood, we are planning our exit to the north in June. Will it work out? Who knows, but right now we plan, and see how the next couple months go. Planning is good, not all we can realize, but making the plan is part of the fun. 😊

Loving our Life here at Arrowvale. πŸ€—❤️

1 comment: