Monday 7 November 2022

I'm tired, my back hurts, what a trip.

 All looking good as we took off to LaGuardia

From Eastman Quebec to Chesapeake in 2 day's was a feat I never want to repeat. I had a mission, and it worked out just fine thanks to many people and things falling in place. 

The drive was interesting, intense and full day's. Some area's we're fast, but not too much traffic, others were crazy busy as I was close to a city. I drove south to Hartford, Connecticut, then east to Scranton, Pennsylvania. Stayed a night there in Denny's parking lot, then next morning over the Poconos towards Philadelphia, around this city towards Norfolk, Virginia. Chesapeake is right there too, over the 17mile bridge and 2 tunnels under the water, and through the city to Northwest river park & Campground, in Chesapeake city park. 

This was a pleasure to stay the night at as I was tired, and knew I had some cleaning to do, and tanks to empty, here was the best place to do it. Nightly rate, $31 was very good. So made dinner of some appys Polly had in the freezer, toast w peanut butter and jam then settle to bed. Then it started, bang, the rooollllling, then bop again as the acorn fell on the slide top and rolled to the side. Trees were full of acorns and all were ready to fall.

All night at different times the acorns fell, most I never heard as I was asleep, but as soon as I woke I'd hear the bop, bop, and a roll sometimes the another and then a few more, was kinda funny. I knew I would have to clean off the slide before I could put it back in. Good I only put one slide out. 

That morning I made coffee, and waited for the light to come, wrote a little, and when the light came I started the cleaning and put the slide in, trailer was still hooked to truck, so easy move.
Off the the dump station, gave the tanks a good cleaning, and put some deodorant in the wast tank. Ready for storage now. 

Off to the storage unit, which was a good looking place, with some strict rules around storage, I got a long term spot, so will not have to move it while it's there. Finished a good cleaning, and killed more of what I thought before were ladybug's 🐞 but are Asian beetles,


very nasty little buggers, they bite, got me twice on my arm, took out big chunks of my arm.
I killed all I could before I shut the door for the last time for awhile.

I left and went to Christy & Duanes place as they helped me with a place to stay for the night, and a ride to the airport in the morning. A very good offer, so helpful in our time of need. Christy made me lunch, and we talked, as we didn't really know each other too much, having met a the funeral for a mutual friend a few years ago, and kept in contact through Facebook. When Christy saw we were thinking of moving our trailer to the south till Chris got better, she offered to have our truck stay in their driveway, and gave storage place info, and offered to let me say, and give me a ride to the airport. This fit just perfect.

Later that day I met some of Christy & Duanes family, had dinner with them, and we took a ride around the town and too the beach. Was a nice tour, we will spend some time in the area when we return to get the trailer and continue our trek south. 

Early the next morning 4am we got up, coffee ☕ and off to the airport. This is where the real fun starts, everything looks good, until the time we are to load on & the plane gets delayed
a bit, then we load on knowing that there is fog over LaGuardia airport. The captain says we might have to de-plane😯 Well that doesn't sound good, so he says he's going to call and see what's up. 1/2 hour later we are taking off, thinking we are good to go, up up and away we go. As we fly it starts out nice looking through the window

Then I see fog, so much I'm thinking this doesn't look good.

So we circle around 5 times the captain says we have to go back, can't continue as low on fuel. So now we land off load, and get a message that our flight is scheduled for 10:30 now. Many go up for new time or new flight, I wait. Then the board shows new time 11:00am, but the two people at the desk say not likely, come make a different flight. I get in line now, I get a new boarding pass, new time. Then cancelled, all flights to LaGuardia a no go for today. 

Ok, now what? I get in line again, it takes awhile, but I get to the desk where two attendant's are working as best as possible getting alternative flights for people. This is a Delta flight, but I booked with WestJet, still they are very helpful. The woman as she's looking for a flight for me is thinking I may have to rebook for tomorrow. I not liking that, then she is told on the radio she has to go attend an incoming flight, as they need a representative there, so before she goes she asks Brian, the other attendant to get a flight for me after he finishes with the couple he's dealing with. 

Brian gets to me and says after looking at what the woman had started, I don't see you getting out today. I say I really would like to fly today, he looks some more then makes a call, he's on hold. After awhile I see he's looking at the couple behind me, I say yeah go ahead, deal with them while on hold. This takes a long time, I'm wondering if the call will ever be answered. The lineup gets smaller, the woman comes back, and Brian is still on hold. Ahh, I'm thinking, then Brian says to the woman "What's her number" and he calls on the cell phone, talks to someone, and then he says, Brent follow me. 

Well this feels good, on my way to a flight I'm thinking, I'm going to get a good seat, all will be good 😊 We get to the terminal at the very end of the airport after a fast walk, Brian talks with the woman there, as all the passengers go past and load on the plane. As the last passes he says, as we walk back, looking like this might not happen, looking like I won't get on a flight today. 

Back we walk to where we started, and he gets on the phone again, then another number, and I'm standing thinking what the heck. He looks at me after about 10 minutes, and says to the person in the phone, I have to get you to book this in next 10 minutes, or we miss the flight. Then he's on hold again, I'm shaking my head, then he looks at me and says, Brent go back to the other desk, I'll be behind you. 

Well now I'm walking there even faster, thinking I just might make it now, I get there and the woman prints out my boarding passes, and I walk down the hall, but not before I turn and say to Brian "Thanks for this" 
What a relief, as I walk down the aisle everyone was seated, I was absolute last person on the flight. Back of the plane, left side, between two guys that are non talker's. A new route, Atlanta, Calgary, Edmonton. At least I'm getting going.

This was a short flight, but comfortable as seats reclined and TV was in the seat in front. I watched a movie, Breaking, I didn't get to finish, but I will sometime, was good. That went fast, 11/2 hrs or so. We off load, then get to the gate for the next flight after another long walk to the far end of the airport, big airport. I get some lunch/dinner now, as I have time, and eat in my seat. No table's here. 

I try to sleep a little after eating, but didn't get much in, then flight loaded, and we on our way to Calgary. I'm seated in row 12 now, just behind 1st class, a little more leg room. I try to sleep again, no luck but I find a game to keep me busy on the phone, silly little game, but I played anyway. Later the cart goes by, I ordered chips and a KitKat and a rum and coke, I had definitely had enough of travel today. 

The chips were good, the KitKat great, and when I got the rum and coke mm that was very Nice πŸ‘ made for a decent trip to Calgary. 

The trip to Calgary was about 5 hours, but it went fast, I met the woman next to me, and her child, she was Korean, and had lived in USA and Canada, a very interesting life she had. We talked till the end of her boys game was over then she spent time with him till the flight was over. I played my game a little more. 

We landed, I then had to walk to the other side of this airport, I walked fast to make it on time for my next flight, as I was walking I noticed my next flight time was already being changed, they gave an excuse the flight crew was not here, had to fly in on another flight. Excuses aside, our flight was delayed 31/2 hours, oh and the flight had to de-ice before we left, all takes time, but better safe. 

        Snow as we got closer to Edmonton

 We landed in Edmonton at 12:30am. 

I was happy to be home, Ciara & Polly picked me up, gave Polly a big hug and 😘 kiss, then they brought me home. I was so tired, so darn tired. I showered, and to bed I went, a good solid sleep till 5:30 am, I got to the hospital at 6 just in time for the doors opening. Was nice to see Chris again, he was not as responsive as I hoped, but the next day he was. I didn't last long that day, home for breakfast, and bed again, was a day of naps.

The roller coaster continues, and we will stay till he's better. 

What to say, the truck & trailer are safe from snow now, and we are here ready to spend the winter if need be. Life is what it is! 😊❤️












2 comments:

  1. So glad you are back with Polly and Chris and family :-) What a trip ,,and what a trooper you are !! So is Chris and I am keeping the faith that he will be ok :-) Hugs to all of you

    ReplyDelete