Sunday 20 November 2022

Sunday morning in Grande Prairie

                
My view early this morning 

I'm not from here, but I have been here a time or two since my son moved here. I never thought of being here in winter, but here I am, rockin winter boots and a coat I had burried under our bed thinking I wouldn't be wearing anymore. 

I took a walk along the main road of the town , the old center of Grande Prairie, along the new wide paving stone sidewalk. Benches of wood along the way, with dividers of aluminum or stainless steel, so nobody could lay on them, and only room for 2 people. The sidewalk was so wide, but almost nobody out walking on a Saturday afternoon. Except for what we used to call bums, but now called homeless people. 


The sidewalk was extended at intersections, kinda bumped out, making it so people were even closer to the traffic as it went by. This center road is one artery that connects one side of the city to the other, so it gets busy, not with people stopping to shop at the businesses that line the street, but to get to the other side of town, where the real big stores are, home Depot, Staples, Costco, those kinda stores. Stores that pay the majority of the taxes, and people do most shopping. 

I walk by the co-op that still exists here on the main street, I'm sure this has been here for years as this town before oil&gas was a farming community. Just like Dawson creek, I saw the development there too. 

      The beauty of a pink sky in the morning

Dogs are out now, I hear Walter baying, with Barb out smelling the turf too, they live next door, they make there rounds daily, this yard and there's is all there property as far as there concerned. It's still dark out, just a hint of light in the sky. 7:39 and all's well. 

Sunday mornings I love, as they seem to start slowly, but here in GP, close to highway 40 you can see & hear the trucks form very early in the morning, this place is like Vegas, it really never sleeps. Always movement, always something that has to be done, 24/7 the machinery moves. 

Getting back to my walk, I didn't go into the co-op, I left that for another time, I'm sure I'll like it. I walked down the sidewalk, all shoveled off, all maintained by the city, a guy with a big backpack and coveralls on is walking the same way, he says loudly how this is such a nice town, just beautiful, he's trying to engage some conversation, but I was quiet, just kept walking As I went I'd stop look in a window, he would pass, still talking, I saw a smoke shop, Al's, the only sign I saw that was neon and has an arrow that flashed pointing into the store, the only sign around that reminded me of Vegas. I looked in the window a while, and the guy passed by, I went in and bought a lottery ticket, not my usual, but I thought what the hell. 

Polly was getting her hair done, so this was my gift to me for the next couple hours, a walk where the sidewalks were not slippery. 

After a short talk with the the woman that was on the till and sold me the ticket I went back to walking, the guy was still wanting to engage me, he said so your wife left you hey, I said no, he said, don't lie to me, I just said nothing, he wanted some talk, I just kept waking, he finally turned off, I think he realized he was not going to get what he wanted from me. 

I got to the end of the old uptown, at the intersection was at the beginning of a hill that led down to the river then up to the other side of town. I crossed the street to the tallest building around, I big black looking building that people here called? Something I forget. It's the center of GP, and the end of my walk on one side of the street. 


I stopped and looked at the sign in the building, it said Gallery, hmm so I went in, art galleries always different, this one had a stool as I went in, and a gas can on it. Hmm I thought, I wonder if this is an art exhibit? As I'm going in, another couple is leaving, I ask the guy there, is the gas can an exibit, he laughs an says it's from the people that just left, they ran out of gas right here, friends he knows, "he's an Engineer" he says, like it's odd that he would run out of gas! The gas can was their's, he tells me. I'm surprised and yet not, anyone can run outta gas. 

I start to look around at the gallery, I see at the front counter he's a framing shop too, so one stop shop. I tell him of a friend I know had a shop same in Port Alberni, I'm from the island I say. We talk a little, but he's busy with something, so I walk on looking at the art. I look at the Christmas bulbs you would hang on the tree, hand painted inside a clear globe, they were very nicely done, he explains how they paint the picture inside with a curved brush, then after take paint and swirl it around to make the blue background. I thought the $6-800.00 price was way out of line, but they were beautiful alright. 

As I looked around a little more I realized the oil field money here afforded this kind of lavish Art, everything was at what I would call a bloated price. I shook my head and walked on, but not before I had an interesting conversation with the owner. He said to me as I was almost finished looking that they had a Vegas night last night, the stores stayed open till 11pm. I asked how he did, he said he did ok. He then said u can put your name in the draw for $1000. Dollars, I said I would, might as well, I just bought a lottery ticket at the smoke shop, he then told me the name, Al's and said probably 1 of two oldest buildings here in GP, that and the funeral home. 

Of course I had to let him know that I was here due to the funeral home and and our son's funeral, and let him know of the accident and what I think as the injustice involved. He was sympathetic, and said he was sorry for this, but I could see he was maybe uncomfortable with it, or maybe disinterested, just shuffling paper, and acting like he wanted to get on with his stuff, to do. As I was standing there he relayed that he was going to be closed tomorrow, he was going to visit his father. He wasn't doing well, he then said he thought he only be with us for a couple weeks. 

Hmm, now it was my turn to not know what to say, what to do. I asked, what was wrong with him, he told me a list of things he had removed in an operation, and his age was 84 so not doing good, he's on a big piece of property, north of Edmonton, and he had a partner who lived with him, she was finding it impossible to continue to look after him, as he was struggling not able to get around, but just a tough old guy that won't give in. 

So I said you have to go to see what you can do to help, I asked what will you do? He said he wasn't sure, but he can't stay there by himself, and his partner is about done, so something has to change. 

           Daylight changes my view

I wished him well, and good luck. He said the same to me. I thanked him for asking me to put in for the draw, he said good luck.

 I left thinking I'm going back to find out how he made out, I was even thinking what day he would be be there? What day would be best.

I don't think of this often, I just do it, I find it interesting how easy it is to establish a relationship with people, not trying to, but it happens. I'm a very lucky man to have this ability, and because of this we have many very good friend's. Polly has this gift too, she opens up and out comes this beautiful person nobody can resist 🤗

I continue my walk up the other side of the street, past many businesses and a huge empty lot, with a big excavation, and a sign for a variance permit issued in 2021, still no building. I stopped into a pawn shop, always interesting, so much stuff, very organized this shop, huge place, not as much stuff as some. 
I like garage sales to look around too, but I'm not much of a buyer, I laugh. 

As I walk towards where I parked the truck I saw the Al's smoke shop sign again, sure looks inviting, with the small blowup Santa Claus out front. I know I'll walk here again, was a gooder. I look at my phone, is right on time to get Polly, 3 pm she said, so I get in the truck, set the gps on the phone and off I go, slowly, cautiously, as people move fast here, I don't wanna be in a accident. 

Polly was walking out just as I got there, a new woman. Always a surprise when she's got her hair done, I'm a lucky man. 

Nice to do something else for awhile, let my mind rest, and think about something else. 

Sunday mornings writing was fun, just about as fun as the walk. Life feels a little better today, just a little 🤗♥️


1 comment: