Tuesday 14 July 2015

Tuesday already, BBQ went good

Polly and I had a fun time getting ready for the BBQ. We were busy all morning, and afternoon till 4pm. Then we sat and waited for people to make their way here. The rain came and went during the day, but we never thought to cancel, we knew it would work out one way or the other. First came Barry and Branwin, then the yard started to flood with people, and it started. First people were standing all around, and meeting each other, then John said "do you want our stand up canopy?" Ahh. Ahh,Hmm yes ok that would be nice. So off we went next door to get the fold out canopy out of John's RV.

Wow that went up nicely, and it covered the table, and a big area 10x10' "Oh that looks good, now it won't rain for sure" I say, and it didn't till most had left, and even then it was just a short sprinkle. People were talking and meeting each other, and Polly and I were doing the same. Chairs were setup outside the canopy, and all found a place to sit and yak. Claudette and Americo showed up and that was so nice to see them, now the appy's start.

 Polly starts cooking the prawns, and does this ever go over good, appys that were brought were put out  people were happy to have a few of these delicacies to start on. Polly wants to wait for Chris and Barb before we start, but finally she gives the go ahead, and I start on the salmon. Well I notice right away that as I had asked for, Americo brought a sockeye all cut up and marinated, so on that goes, and beside me is Polly cooking the Cod, with her light batter, and on goes the rest of the salmon I had marinating. Funny how when we get into it the time just fly's. All the sudden I'm on the last piece of salmon, and Polly is finishing off the cod. Everyone is happy with the spread, they all brought a salad, or desert and dinner was on. People kept coming up to me while we were cooking saying wow was this ever good, Love the Salmon, Love the Cod! Thanks was heard often. Polly and I were full, full of happiness, as we do like to see people mix and have fun and enjoy good fresh fish. I say to Polly at one point that "it would be nice to have our grand kids here to acknowledge them as the catchers of the fish" and also I think to show them off to the people.

Funny, when I start to write about our grandchildren it brings a tear to my eyes, Love em I do, proud of them too. Was a fun year this year at the cabin, and will be remembered for life by all of us.

I notice Polly rounding the fence, and heading down the street with a plate of food, Joan had gone home early, and Polly was making sure she had a dinner. Gee I love that girl! Polly I mean...

After dinner has been consumed, and people were calmly talking Polly says to me "we should make a toast to Marlene", and I say ok lets, so Polly made a toast, and we all raised our glasses, and toasted Marlene, and there was a quiet for a short while. Was good to remember Marlene as she would have been here if not for dying the week before. I will miss her.

Slowly couple by couple, person by person, make their way back home, but not empty handed as Polly make's sure all that leave have some of the left over salmon, or whatever they want that we have left. Always more food than needed, as Polly never wants to see not enough... LOL

Now we are down to the final few that usually are left, Polly and I, John and Carol, Barb and Chris, and Claudette and Americo. The rain starts and we move under the cover, and talk till the cool air finally gets to us. J&C leave, they have to let their dog Carley, out. We all clean up the rest of the food, and go in the house, and talk and drink a little more. The cab comes for C&B and now just 4 of us Polly says we can't go to bed till 12am, as she has to put breakfast in the Crockpot!

Ok so off to the trailer to play a few games of Poker, turn up the tunes and away we go. Funny how the end of the night we have been using the trailer as or final place to be. We played till 1:30am, and I made a beer spill on the carpet! First one, and all Polly says is better you than me!

Was a fun night, and all went well. May be the last one, as next year we expect to sell in the spring, and off we go. I will miss this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment