Wednesday 1 July 2015

How life changes


One moment you are here and the next gone.

 Our neighbour Marlene died yesterday, we knew her well, but didn't hang out to much. I would cut her grass weekly in the spring and have a beer and a yak once in awhile with her. She was more than a neighbour, she was a friend. She drank too much, she smoked too much, and she wasn't going to change. I will miss her.

 I saw her last on Sunday, after I had cut my grass, I went over and asked if she wanted me to cut hers. Yes she said, but could I do it latter in the day as she was watering. OK and off I went. I didn't get back that day, but called Monday after work and said I would do it Tuesday night when it was cooler, Marlene said she was "Bombed" LOL I said we have all been there, I'll see you tomorrow when it is cooler.

I went over last night and cut Marlene's grass, she didn't come out as per usual, but her screen door was open so when I was about to blow off the patio, I went and closed the patio door. I said to an empty room, "I am just closing the door Marlene." I heard the phone ringing, but thought she was either passed out, or had gone out with her son. The phone rang a few more times while I was there but I didn't go to the door, I just opened the patio door, and closed the screen when I was finished, and packed up my gear and went home, thinking I would go over tomorrow.  

I thought to myself last night as I was cutting the grass "Why do I cut Marlene's grass, not just $, I kinda take care of her. In a way she reminds me of my mother, drinking too much and needing some help every once in awhile." Yep I'm going to miss her.

Marlene's daughter called after I got home from cutting the grass, and asked If I would go check on her. I said I would, and I had heard the phone ringing when I was there. I went over and checked on her, and yes she was cold and no pulse. Not a pretty sight, I left without moving her, even though I thought I should, I didn't want to.

Now the call to her daughter back. I tell Polly... Good she didn't come with me, Polly gets quite upset over this. Her daughter took it well, and made the call to handle this herself, she would be in an hour or so she said. I was glad as I didn't want to make the call.

I asked Polly to go for a walk, as it had cooled down more now, and we did a little jaunt around the block, and had a chin wag with the neighbours. Took our minds off it for awhile.

Marlene's daughter made it in good time, and then the ambulance, and coroner, then the police. I had to make a statement late that night, and so did Marlene's daughter. I gave her a few hugs, and supported her best I could. Funny, was like hugging Marlene, just not so frail.

And there goes another, just like all of us, one day here, and then next gone!

 More for me to think about, and the reason why Polly and I will get on with doing the things we want to now, before we get to old, or sick. Our sale of our home, and changes in our life will make things easier to move around and see and do what we want, now before the end comes. I'm glad I got to know Marlene, she was a gentle soul, and a nice person.

Happy Canada Day! Do what you want to now, before it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment