Thursday 24 September 2015

Healdsburg California

Was an interesting town to visit, like most small towns there has been a transformation from what was to what is. This town has come full way around, and will continue to be redeveloped as people with "Deep Pockets" as is said, have moved in and are redeveloping this small town to a new style. The down town has so many art galleries, and restaurants we didn't know which one to step into. I did make my way into a gallery that was interesting, and way over priced in my opinion. Also went into another that had wood tables, and other wooden things made of "Reclaimed Trees" not ones cut by faller, ones that had just dropped. I didn't comment, I just looked around, and saw what was there for $5,000.00 per table. A slab of redwood, cut from the center of a log say 5' long and 3' wide covered with glass, and metal legs. Man did I get into the wrong business...

We looked over the park in the center of town, and checked out a few clothing stores, which Polly said same as me, just way too much $ for us. We also took a walk around the older neighbour hoods close to down town, picked a lime off a tree, and enjoyed what the town was before. Old architecture, and beautiful wooden homes, some with curved glass, don't see that from the past often. Went in a old stuff kinda place, and saw many things I remember from when I was younger being displayed... Gee I guess I'm old stuff now too... LOL I looked around for awhile at what was displayed till I overheard someone ask about what the building housed before, and the lady said Machine Shop. Hmm now I stopped  looking at the stuff, and started looking at what the building was made of. There was many rails on the beams bent around in curves that people would have moved heavy iron parts around the shop. The old beams were heavy wood, and the floor was smooth finished cement, Yep Machine shop for sure.  

Somehow it feels kinda graveyard like walking through a town that has gone through this transformation. A working part of the area, transformed to hmmm well different. Next door was a sign on another building and I told the woman it would be a nice building for a collector. She said it had been sold, an art gallery was opening there.  

Polly and I did have a nice day, and enjoyed our walk, now to look around a few wineries in the countryside, and back to camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment