Saturday 1 July 2017

July 1st, a special day this year as 150th year since Canada became a country.


Happy Canada Day, Small Canadian Flag on trailer hitch...

Today we celebrate our country's beginning, the date of enactment of the Constitution Act, 1867 (then called the British North America Act, 1867). I had to do some research to get some info here, and got lost in many links that had me learning more than I wanted to, but this date and what was done 150 years ago is what we are celebrating 150 years of our country being one.

We have changed much since the start, and have become a world renowned country for many reasons, and will continue to change and be a part of forming how our country is, and how we are as a part of the world.

Today is a good day for all of us Canadians to look at what we have, and how hard it is to get around the world. Freedom to speak, even if others disagree. Many country's are not here yet. Freedom to travel through our whole country without inspection of our credentials, this is something we take for granted, but not everywhere has this. Freedom to make our own way as best we can in life, although we do have regulations to make things safe for all. We have what some call free health care, I say health care for all, not free as we all pay for this through our taxes. This is our choice as a country and I like it. This is not all we have, just a few I list.

Polly, Bosco and I have been on a wonderful trip through the USA this past winter and spring. We have seen much, and learned a whole lot about USA and the differences between our 2 country's, and what people want, and what they think about what a country should do, and what they should keep there hands off of. We saw what people live like, but never really experienced the poor as we are rich in many ways and didn't hang out where the poor were. We did see glimpses of poor people though, and we did see and hear how people saw them as we travelled. Not a pretty sight, and the division of wealth wasn't an accident, it is by design, as when you live here you will likely get this, and if you live here well you get that.

I always thought we lived in one of the best places on this earth, and now I am sure. Yes we get rain on Vancouver Island, and we can get some snow, but we never worry about a hurricane, or think of a tornado may form the next minute.  We don't worry that the temperature will get so hot we can't get outside, or so cold we wouldn't go out. On Vancouver Island, I feel safe and believe I always will. Earthquake or a Tsunami is the threat we have, and that is something we can worry about, but I choose not to.

This morning as I write we are in North Sydney, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. I learned that there are many divisions here in just this one town, and this area, and there has been for years. Religious divisions, geographic divisions, and many others, as we have seen throughout our trip.

Today as I look out at the trailers here in this campground, I see we are Canadians celebrating our Birthday. I see a car with 2 Canadian flags, one each side, I see people camped all around us, some came in after we went to bed last night. Today we will shop, eat, drive, and talk here without feeling fear, and this is what we all stand for today. I love our country as we all do, and hope for a better future as we all do.

Happy Birthday Canada!

Proud Canadian here
Dual Flags here


Nova Scotia flag on one, Canadian flags on the other...


No comments:

Post a Comment