Saturday 27 February 2021

Awnings are dangerous, awnings with snow load are even more dangerous πŸ‘


Looking kinda inocent now, but at 2:30am, when I looked out the door and saw the snow belly on our awning my first thought was, Gotta get that snow off there or with more rain it will buckle the awning. 
Well I just didn't think it through. I reached my hand out and gave the awning support rod a little tug 😳

Holly shit, that was fast! The awning came down, the rod came right up against the trailer into the chanel that's mounted to the trailer, and pinched my thumb with a huge bangπŸ’₯ I pulled my thumb out, back in the trailer I went, sure I had cut my thumb off, then sure it was broken. Ouch the pain, a few explaiatives, first examine it, more of this #@+#&#,  then paper towel to catch the blood, then pressure to help with the pain. 

Whooeeeff, holly crap, that hurt. Still got my thumb, and looking like I can still move it, so likely not broken. After a few minutes, I take another look and bleeding has slowed, time for a band-aid. Then giter done. Go out and get the snow off the awning now. Determined I am. Never give up on a good πŸ’‘ idea. πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ€£

I get the broom and push up on the big belly formed I the middle of the awning. Out comes the wet slushy snow. Oh yea this had to be done, or would have collapsed for sure. So I get all I can out of the one side as the support is up against the trailer so the awning is like a shoot ready to spit out the snow with a little proding from me and the broom. 

Looking at the other end, support rods were still straight out, and not letting the snow fall out. So with all my recent knowledge I thought πŸ€” got to get that snow outta there, and took the broom and gave the support rod a shove, well again πŸ’₯ that  happened fast, and the rod didn't fare as well as the other side, it broke the ears off the small rod support.  

Is hard in the light now to remember just how much snow there was, and just how heavy it must have been, it crashed on the side of the trailer and woke Polly out of her sleep 😴 😳 with a start. 
Well it broke the support, but no damage to the trailer, and I then got all the wet heavy snow off the awning. Goal achieved in a wreckless way. 

I stayed up till 6am, thumb throbbing, but on its way to healing. What an education that was. Looking back I'm lucky I only go a crunched thumb, and a broken support rod, this could have been much worse. 

Awnings have always been a contentious issue for me, as I have seen the problems others have had. Wind is the usual problem, and when it's Windy I pull them in. But possible snow just didn't hit me as it was going to cause a problem. I was so wrong, a light dusting maybe, but the westcoast wet rain soaked snow, even a small amount was a huge problem. 

Thinking I'm lucky now may seem funny, but it could have been much worse, I got to learn a lesson with no long term injury, well I'll loose a nail for sure, but that's like nothing to a broken arm, or crushed under the snow load and broken neck. Yep, it could have been much worse. 

Next day I wonder in the sun, if I'll be able to get a part to repair that. So after looking at it on and off for the morning I say to Polly, Wana go for a drive with me? I can tell Polly's like, naww, but I talk her into a drive to get propane she forgot yesterday in her run to town, and ask at Arbutus RV in Port Alberni if they had the part. 

That was a runaround, the parts lady said after going into the back they had them, just needed the exact length. So I say I'll call her back with the length when I get home, and I take off. We got Propane, and some information. Oh yea, and we got to drive around for awhile πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. An outing together is an outing during covid 🀣🀣.

I get home and measure and call back, tell her the length, and she says she'll check and call me back. 
Well that didn't happen, so I call back next day, and excuses came, but she put me on hold, and not sure what was next but after. Couple mins, I hang up. 

Polly says, call Parksville where we bought it, maybe they have it. So I call, and parts guy there says need all vin. Numbers and info, but that they only sell the whole unit. I'm, what? Yes he says, they don't sell parts for them, they sell the whole thing. 

Well I thank him, I now know what direction I am going, I'ma gonna make this thing myself. 

Later that day the parts lady here in Port calls, says they don't have it, but she could get a price for me on one. I say yup, that would be good. Thanks. I hang up thinking, will she actually call with a price?

Next day I hear forecast for wind, so let's bring in the awning best we can. I get Polly on the switch, and we manage to get it in and some heavy wood against it as the shock keeps pushing out. This holds, but I'm not happy to just leave it, so later yesterday I just had to take it apart, and get the tube off, then will repair today and reinstall. Fixed I'm thinking. 

Either way awning is up, and all weather can come, and no more damage can happen with the awning for now.

Kind of a long story, but yesterday when I went to have a shower and took the band-aid off, I got a good look at my thumb, yep I'm lucky, and yes I'm going to loose the nail. Small price to pay to learn a huge lesson. 

Still looking at the rod sticker that says it all. 🧐 Hmm  πŸ€” 

Not sure that's correct as I did that, and the consequences were painful. πŸ˜‚

All's good as people say, I live to fight another day, just not with an awning. Awnings in when weather changes from now on. That's my new motto. Lol

Ahh life is good, if you don't let it beat you.😁 Loving life ♥️ here at Arrowvale Campground






No comments:

Post a Comment