Saturday 1 January 2022

Feeling Happy, tired, sore & optimistic.

The last few days Polly & I have been busy getting ready to go. We realized long ago the longer you stay in one place the more stuff you have unpacked, aquired, moved around. We thought we were prepared, but being in a house we spread our wings. Packing up was intense. Polly was cleaning and arranging inside the house, I was same outside. I made a promise to myself, next time we return I will only work with what I have, no more aquiring more wood, or tools. As a matter of fact, I'm going to sell some on our return. 

Moving when just our stuff is not too bad, but after being in a house for 2 months Polly wants it to look good to leave, and she did, but of course she was some sore yesterday upon leaving. I on the other hand had done all the strenuous moving a couple days before our move day. So had a chance to heal up. 


We did laugh as we traveled, feeling free again, sore knee or two, sore back, Polly was just tuckered out. I told her we are just a couple old folks! πŸ˜† She laughed. We are and that's ok, well heal and we are on our way south πŸ₯³


A few get outta my way, hey you idiot! That idiot stopped for a green light! Frikin fools! Then Polly says I remember doing that before, I had to agree I had made that mistake too. I laughed, Polly got me on the right track. Wonderful how that works, we bing off of each other like pinball, we get each other on track as we go through this life. πŸ€—❤️ Ain't it the way!

We arrived in Victoria with as expected less snow, still cold out, sun shining all the way. 3 trailers on the dock overnight. I had to go say Hi πŸ˜‰ to the others, I walk over and open with "I hear this is where the margaritas 🍸 are served!" That got the group laughing, and off we go talking about where we are each going. El Central is there destination, I tell them Indio, Yuma, San Carlos, Mexico. Where are you from is asked, Port Alberni I say prouly. As I say it I realized I'm in my grubs, and they are all dressed up. One couple from Courtenay, one couple from Duncan. 


Next question they ask is "where you planning to go to tomorrow?" I say "Salem, Oregon." Whoo, that's way further than we travel, 2-3 hours that's us, and hotels, not staying in our rig. Says one couple, from Courtenay. The other I think staying with them. We are stay in the trailer, we like it, even if cold, it will warm up. The conversation ends as the start to talk about dinner, and hotel. Off I go, dig out the generator, and get the satellite πŸ“‘ dish going. Was frozen to the roof, took 2 trys, and when the dish did get off the roof, the arm that picks up the signal was stuck to the dish as it swung around looking for the signal. I laughed, then thought about the ladder, and getting up there ideas started πŸ’‘Get a screwdriver and pry it off? Pour hot water on it? Should I stop it from turning first? My mind was trying, always knowing I didn't want to take the ladder off the trailer, and didn't want to take a chance today. 


Hmm lol πŸ˜† I waited just the right amount of time, and busied myself with other things, Wander a bit, take a few pictures of our beautiful overnight camp in the center of Victoria (always kinda happy we found out this little jewel πŸ’Ž of information) I went back to the side if the trailer, looked up and the arm on the dish had broke loose, was sticking out but not finding the signal yet. I take out my phone and hit the app that finds the satellites, I laughed, a tree and a building just about in the way. Hmm move the trailer now, with slides out? Ahh just wait. So inside I go to warm up with Polly, don't worry about it she says, we can go without for a night or 2. I smile, she knows I don't give up easy. 

We talk about dinner, Polly says let's just go across the street, Days Inn has a pub and a dining room. I'm thinking a nicer restaurant. No decision made. Polly is busy deleting programs that are on the PVR. We have a few movies we could watch. 

After I warm-up a bit, I go outside and take a few photos, now it's darker, beautiful place this is, so grown up since I was young. The harbour is surrounded by buildings, hmm funny how we, people, do this. Find a beautiful place, then build the heck out of it until it becomes just a jungle of buildings, then we call it beautiful 😍

I take a few photos, is cold, but beautiful. As I get further from the trailer I look over and the dish has stopped turning, ahh it has the signal. Ta ta da daaa, She be Done πŸ‘ I say.

Inside I turned on the TV and shaw box and we check out the weather once again, looking good πŸ‘ we getting snow north, but here we getting warmer, and rain as we go. Hopefully no snow mixed in. 

Success, setup, electric working, tv on, heat happening, who needs a hotel, we got it all here, and don't have to pack up to move into the room. 

This is a long talk this time, but was an interesting day, at least I think so. 

After a little TV I say to Polly let's go for a walk around the parliament buildings, then dinner? Ok? Not to happy about cold, Polly  bundles up as I do, and off we go. Was frikin cold alright, but Polly had gloves, she held my had, and we walked down along the harbour side

 
then thought of crossing over but Polly said, No! Don't want to get hit like the woman on TV. Yeah, that was brutal, we saw this just before we left, a woman got hit crossing the street, showed the whole scene on TV. That's why I stopped watching news, not for me the way it's presented. We waited till the crosswalk. 


We walked around the parliament buildings, snow removed from the walks, and saw the soldier that is in front, always a reminder of our past. The building was beautifully lit, and on top a statue of Captain Vancouver. I say to Polly " I wonder if & when they will take that down? I'm sure he did something that offends someone now!" 

We move on, that thought won't help the mood. LoL

        Parliament buildings lit up

We passed a few others walking by, some with dogs, some with children, and as we look get to the frozen fountain I realize there is ribbon around it closed area the sign says, can't walk around the fountain. I laugh again, of course there are tracks all around it inside the ribbon. πŸ˜†


As we leave the grounds heading towards dinner, one couple goes by say's "Happy New Year" and we back! Made the mood even nicer πŸ€—

Days Inn was closed, so I say let's try that place we have been to before, Polly resists again, with a few more excuses, no reservations, new years, not dressed up, I'm persistent once again, and we get to the Harbour House restaurant, people all sitting by the windows, looking full, Polly says, you go in, I'll wait here. So get out the mask, and get inside, glasses fog right away. I wait a bit, they are busy. After about 5 minutes a man aproaches, I say I don't have a reservation, 2 please. He goes away, comes back and says we have a table for you. WOW 😳, that felt so nice, he said "we wouldn't let anyone starve on New Year's Eve." Boy, that felt good.


I go get Polly, who is now making friends outside, and we get in show our documents, and are seated. Warming up, we order warm drink for me, Polly a non alcoholic beer. I let her warm her hands on my coffee ☕ just had to have a shot of Sambuca with it. πŸ˜‹ Mmm. 

Polly thanked me for insisting, the restaurant was as we remembered. We had a wonderful dinner, with much to take about, and so much to watch as people all around, only waiters wearing masks. I talked about this once, but didn't want to ruin the mood. 

Was an excellent dinner, Polly had seafood Linguini, I had ribs, Mmm.
 We had our share of looking at so many different people, I watched the kitchen, Polly kept an eye on the world inside this restaurant. Was an excellent evening. We walked home carefully, down the salted but slippery ramp, and into our warm home on the dock overlooking the harbour. Yep a room with a view tonight, lights all around. TV went on, we got warmer & Polly was out! I tried a few times to wake her, maybe bed time I'd say, she be, no I'm staying, then back to sleep. After the third time I was tired, we heard a few fireworks, but 10:15, time toget to bed. We both tired now. We were up early, and did alot before traveling. Was time to sleep 😴 πŸ’€

Happy New Year πŸ€—❤️ 

Loving travel again, Love our Life ❤️πŸ€—


3 comments:

  1. sounds like a wonderful start to your trip South! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your travel logs ..you are the sweetest couple I know <3 Happy Traveling and Happy New Year to both of you :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you both. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete