Monday 17 October 2022

When your plans πŸ›‘ stop and life changes

         This bit of artwork makes me think.

Yesterday we got a call from or Daughter-in-law as we we watching TV, and snacking on peanut butter and crackers. I'll never forget this moment. Ciara was so upset and telling us as she drove to the hospital that or son Chris was in and accident, and he was not doing good, and this was not good. He was hit by a car as he got out to approach someone that had given him the finger for some kind of driving action, as Ciara told us crying and sobbing that this was not good, Chris is not good. 

Polly and I tried to calm her down, she was so upset, and as she explained things more we also became upset, even more than when she first told us. We were concerned she would have a problem as she drove to the hospital, and said pull over, take a moment Ciara, she did at the light, cried and regrouped, then off she went again, wanting to be there when he woke up, see him, be with him. We wanted the same, but we were miles away in Quebec and Chris & Ciara were in Grande Prairie Alberta. 

We helped and listened as Ciara drove, and learned more as she went about what happened. We both were in awe listening to this.

 I'm on the airplane now as I peck on the phone, I had to do something, sleeping didn't last long, and doing this helps me. 

We found out later, Chris has a broken scull, many breaks, and a bleed inside his head. Polly helps Ciara with her emotions, I also try to calm her, in the middle we take a turn at crying as quietly as we can, trying not to let Ciara hear us breaking down. Polly was much better at this, she held on very good, helped Ciara to the hospital, and we gave her hope, she was thinking the worst. 

Once at the hospital, she was going in and said she would call or message when she new more. 

We waited, and waited, then she mesaged, they were doing a CT scan, then flying him to Edmonton. She wanted to go with him, but decision was made to drive in the morning. In the middle of this I called or friends Wendy and Jack, Jack answered, and he was what the heck, unbelievable, people! He said a little more, but I asked him if he or Wendy could go to the hospital to be with Ciara, she had dropped her kids off at her Mom's, and was there by herself. Jack was Yes we will, will make sure we will be there, at least one of us. 

I needed to do something, and that was all I could think of I could do, Ciara needed someone to be with her. I called Ciara and told her she was happy to know that Jack and Wendy were going to come, I hoped it would help her, cause there was nobody for her right now. Dam, not being there was very very hard. 

We talked again, she was so upset, and needed comfort, Wendy came and helped, she got the Dr to let Ciara see Chris, and that helped as she saw him move his feet and fingers, made her more optimistic. Being away from this I didn't know what to do, I just wanted to get in the truck and drive there, all night! Not logical, I know, but that was how I felt. 

I'm on the plane writing here, crying and wiping my eyes, blowing my nose as discreetly as I can with a man I haven't talked to beside me, is a weird feeling. 

I tried last night till past 2am to figure out what to do, with pour cell service, looking for how long it would take to drive it, which flight I could take, should I book it now? I did get some info for the next day, and did get an update when Chris was flown out, Wendy mesaged me, said he was off in air ambulance, and Ciara was giving her statement to the police, and her friend Jenny was there, she would go home with Ciara. 

We stayed up and got more information from Ciara, but mostly we learned that it was not bleeding too bad, and that they would observe him overnight, and the head Drs would look at him when the team came into the hospital in Edmonton. I felt good enough to sleep now, but still unsure what we would do. 

As we slept Ciara got a talk with the Nero surgeon, said looking not as bad as what we first were told, and will be looking at him in the morning. The message was sent 3am my time, I woke at 5 am, I couldn't sleep anymore, so I started developing a plan, I booked a flight for us, one way to Edmonton, started to send messages to others saying what I was going to do. So many people to call, we had called most last night, but so many. 

Next a place to stay, a pace to park the truck, change our reservation at the campground we were going to in Boston, tell the campground here we staying till at least Wednesday, let Ciara know we were coming, she was happy to know that. Propane, needed to make sure that was full and both tanks turned off, turn the hot water off, turn the water off, shower 🚿, pack, somewhere here Polly got up, and she also got in gear. Shower pack, let me know, did you do this, did you do that. We were like a well oiled machine doing! 

But here, on the plane, I couldn't do anything anymore, I was just sitting here, between the window and this guy, not sure what to do, so I wrote, and yep it helps, it helps alot. 

Stewardess just told me 1:40 minutes left, I don't think I can pick here any more. I think I'll get up and go pee, and stretch my legs, get another tissue or five. 

Back, Forgot the tissue, but got a drink of water, and had a good pee, peeing on a plane, always a little un-nerving, body functions are weird in such close tight places. Always thought planes should have people in beds, but I'm sure is not best for making $$$, need Max people to make it pay. I'm not sure how many people are on this plane, but a 737 full, 6 seats across, and we are in rows 25&26 so I turn and count, 31 rows, x 6 =186 + crew. 

Polly got a window, so did I, we didn't care if we didn't get to sit beside each other, just get us there, quick. I opened the blind for the window, just clouds, I shut it again, and type. 

I think I'm done for now, I feel better, not only the pecking here, and telling this story, but knowing it's only about an hour to Edmonton airport now. I think I'll rest now, was a good decision to do this. πŸ‘

I met the guy beside me after I stopped typing, he was from Romania, nice guy with a family working for a gold mine out of Montreal. He was on his way to a self improvement course he said in Edmonton, he had never been to Edmonton before, hell be there for 2 day's. We covered alot of ground talking in what was left of our trip. He was a nice guy, and interesting talking with him. 

Now at the hospital, on day 3 since Chris was injured, had a good early visit today, Ciara still sleeping 😴, she needs it. Polly too. I like early morning, I had a good talk with the nurses this morning about the ventilator, and how this works. We were here Friday night, I was very impatient with the nurse's when we first came in, was hard not being able to see him right away, they had lots going on in there, I didn't understand. 

What a rollercoaster, we all dealing with emotions and information, and pain. It was painful not knowing, and painful not seeing him the way we remember him. I had a talk with him this morning, I talked I don't know if he hears me, but I still try to talking to him. Mornings are a good time for me, and I shared many mornings with him. 

I don't think I want to write all about getting here and how it's been the last two days since we got here, just know it's been tough, for all of us, and good we have each other here. We have some plans today, Polly's cousin Juliette and her husband Gerome are coming today we will meet at timhorton's for lunch and a visit. Close to the hospital, Ciara knows her from Chris working with Juliette at the same plant. Julie had invited them to dinner when Ciara was in Rainbow lake, they have a good friendship since. There good people, and will be nice to see them again.

I've stopped the heavy long breaths I was doing before, I had had this before in times that are hurting, Is just part of grieving or just being upset. 

I'm going back in to see him again if they will let me. Looking like will be our life for awhile now.  How life changes. 

♥️πŸ€—


2 comments:

  1. OMG Brent!! What a nightmare you all are in right now!! Saying prayers he will be 100% OK... if there is anything you need, please do not hesitate!! much love and prayers coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know our family has just been through this (April 23rd ..middle of the night call) . Reading this is touching my heart and I wish I could hug all of you.. and feed you ..and get you kleenex, coffee, answers and whatever anyone needs. Keep talking to Chris .. our girl responded after 3 days of her sister singing their old favourites to her while she was on life support <3 Miracles are ever present <3 I am holding all of you in my heart and prayers . sending love and warm hugs of support . i have no other words ...just know that I know what you are going through and am praying for Chris, his wife and children, You and Polly and the rest of the family. Hugs <3

    ReplyDelete