Wednesday 17 April 2024

Leaving Laos, I never really thought of it.

I met a man here Sonny, he walks by most every day with his garbage to the dumpster, and a visit to the office. He introduced himself I'm thinking the first day he was here, rolled into a campsite I really like, #27 he said he was in, I knew exactly where he had parked. He offered to help me putting up my workshop when I first started, as I was going to put up the structure, he could come after 3pm he said. I had it all up next time I saw him. 

He came yesterday, looking and acting kind of upset, and needing some help, so after a little explanation I walked to his MH with him, and took a look at the hole his fridge came out of, it fell over when he was driving in after his trip shopping. He needed help cutting a 2"x2" into legs for under the plywood shelf the fridge had been on. I took some measurements, asked a few questions, then we went back to my place & I cut the wood into 6 small legs, he took them, along with my drill and impact driver, a drill bit, and a hammer. I was happy he didn't want me to do it. 

I worked on a planter while he was gone, forgetting about him, busying myself with a project Polly wants, another planter. 

After about and hour or so he comes back with my tools and a couple beers, and a big smile. He says "you cut those pieces just right size!" Surprised looking. He was really happy, all was back together and thanked me as we drank the beer and talked. 

He asked many questions about our travel, and living full time, he's onto his second year in his MH and loves it. He said if you told him 10 years ago he'd be doing this he would never have believed it, yet now doing it he loves it. 

I asked as he had mentioned Surrey if he lived there. Yes was his answer, and from there we went onto where he was born, Laos he told me, then he told me when the country was being taken over by communism his Mom and stepdad decided to leave. Took them 4 nights and 3 days thru the jungle to get to Thailand. Then 2 years in a camp for people that were leaving Laos before they could come to Canada, they had an aunt that helped them get their permit to come to Canada. They arrived in Edmonton late at night, 30° in Thailand when they left -30° in Edmonton when they arrived. 

They were driving towards the city,and he was scared as in Thailand and Laos going towards the light was where fires 🔥 were, he thought they should go the other way. 

Polly has dinner ready, I sad to Sonny, I want to talk more, I'm very interested in your story. 

I couldn't help but think how much different his life was compared to mine. We, our society can't really imagine how it is for people running for their lives away from what would be slavery, or worse. 

I'll talk with him again soon, butforme now just thinking about his beginnings, it's believable, and yet unbelievable that this is still happening in our civilization.

Writing this even feels weird, like it's really not real, but it is. 
           looking out our window 

Sure do love our life ❤️ even more now!

No comments:

Post a Comment