Thursday 24 August 2023

Rain now, feeling comfortable.

Feeling comfortable in our trailer in a parking lot in Hinton, Alberta this morning isn't how I saw today when we left our campsite in McLure, BC. I had a couple days staying in Mount Robson provincial park in.mind, but that went out the window when we drove into the campground and realized all reservations in this place, another not as I had imagined, sites were small, and access was tight and all sites had reservations on them. 

I was hungry, we had put off lunch hoping to setup and eat at the campground. So off we went towards Jasper, looking for a decent pull off that we could stop and have a sandwich. After awhile I found a place by the lake, and did a quick pull off, was tight, but at a boat launch and rest stop was ok. 

Polly got into the trailer and made a sandwich knowing I was "hangry" feeling as the plan was altered & we weren't sure what we'd do next. Food in my belly helps, and Polly knows how to read me like a book. After we ate the wind was blowing about 30km, so we didn't stay long, having trouble getting the door open and shut with the wind pushing it. 

As we traveled towards Jasper now I said
"funny how I wanted a place to pull off that has a nice view, yet when we were there we didn't even really enjoy it, just didn't really want to step out and take a look around."

Looking back after we both understand that sometimes it's just a stop, get a bite, and move on. I fight with this when we travel sometimes as I want to stop, but with the trailer it's not easy to find a pullout that's big enough, or that you see far enough ahead that you can pull into. Sure there is a huge pullout where you're looking at the trees, and the side of the road, but where the lake is, or the mountains, Nada! Not where we or I would like to pull out. 

Just past the Jasper townsite wind was whipping hard here. Had to pullout after the pullout as was only for travelers on the other side of the road 🥴 so I crossed, parked in the gravel.

We passed through Jasper for a nice view, but didn't stay, maybe another time, reservations are a pain to get in government parks here, we decide to go to Hinton, get dinner out, as when traveling it's a bit of a pain if we don't make camp. So our dinner was a Smitty's, and that was good. Both of us hungry now, and ready to just enjoy dinner, and dinner was great, both satisfied. 

In Mount Robson & Jasper no cell service until you are close to the town, this made for no information, so when we stopped for a pee, we could look forward to the time it would take to get to Hinton, that's when we made the decision to just pass through the park. I'm happy we did, waking to rain in a campground again, dragging in the mud and dirt not what I wanted. 

Dark out still, going for my second cup of coffee ☕☕, have to heat it up now, as I waited too long writing here. Rain does feel comfortable, I turned the heat up a bit, and got my hoodie on, with my Canuck's Pajama bottoms on, yep feeling just right. 

We called Jack last night, just let him know we probably be there today, Wendy got home yesterday, good news. Was nice to hear his voice again, always with some joking 😃, we both are looking for to seeing them again. Hmm I just realized is kinda like our second home, we pull in there and it's like coming home kinda. Now I'm feeling happy and sad at the same time, guess that's how it'll be for awhile. 

It's getting light out now, was a good place to stay the night, was just the right time to stop last night, and perfect place to stay, the sign here said no camping, but could stay one night, so we did. Is a huge mall parking lot, with Safeway at this end, and Walmart at the other, and many other places here too. 

After we set our two outside slides out, away from the parking lot I took a walk around the place, had to have a little exercise. As I walked along I noticed a truck in the distance, behind the mall between the Walmart and Canadian tire store. 08 on the side of it, as I got closer I realized it was a huge Electra haul mining rock truck. I had heard of these, and never seen one as big as this. 

WOW, it was HUGE 😲
I took a good look around it, was in a spot behind the buildings, along what looked like a trail, I'm not sure why it would have been placed here? No signage explaining it, just there, almost hidden. There was a girl there when I approached, she had climbed up on it, and took a really good look, I'm not that much for climbing that thing. She was also in awe as I was, we talked about, but mostly we both just looked at the huge truck. 

Photos don't really give a good representation of its size, the ladder that would have been there when the truck was being used was taken off, & the ab had screen over it so nobody could go into it, but someone did get the one planetary open, it's in the perfect location for vandalism, too bad. 

Not like camping in a park, but really interesting just the same for me, Polly said when I returned "I thought you had gotten lost!" LoL, she knows better 😆

Not camping now, just traveling in the rain LoL, be another adventure today, highway 40 to Grande Prairie today, in the rain! Better than in the snow 😆 LoL

Love this life we do 🤗❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment