Sunday 12 November 2023

Sunday at Sundance

 Today I'm remembering my past, reflecting!


This is our 2nd Sunday here at Sundance. I have a cold, caught it Friday, the night was crappy, lotsa hack hack, and running nose, we have all had it sometime in our lives. Yesterday I stayed home, except for a trip to the hall here to honor the people that fought during many wars. I stayed in the back of the hall, away from people and watched as the ceremony proceeded, was very good. Honoring the Canadian and American soldiers, I was humbled again. 

I wouldn't say I walked home a changed man, I just felt good that I went, was good for my soul to hear what was said. I'm very fortunate to have never had to go to war. I was in the militia one summer at 15, a summer income was what I was looking for, and pay was ok, if I didn't gamble it all away as some did. I learned how to call a rifle a rifle, not a gun, how to dig a trench, and stay in it all night, I learned to keep my head down. I also learned how loud a sergeant could yell if you didn't iron your uniform, or polish your boots to a bright shine. 

I learned alot that summer, a friends father drove us to Naniamo each weekend, as we lived in Port Alberni, and we were based in Naniamo. He was a good man, he gave the 3 of us, his son Keith, my friend Don, and I a ride home and back each weekend, without fail. We learned how to shoot a rifle, an FN it was called. Also a submachine gun, how to take them apart, and put-em back together in record time. Was interesting, how much there was to learn. 

We had our hair cut short, we learned to respect rank, even if we didn't like orders, we learned to follow them. I learned a lot that summer. I learned to drink alcohol, I should have learned I wasn't good at it, but I continue, mind you a little less, so maybe I've learned that now. I learned how to March, and parade in an organized fashion, "Present Harms" the seargent would said so many times we just became repetitive at it. 

I'll never forget that summer, and the many different people that we all got to meet and know at a very close level. I remember this guy that got to be my partner in the trench, his nick name was "Mouse", he was huge, and could dig like a machine, he said "I'll dig the trench, I like it" so I backed of and let him go at it. I learned if someone wants to giver, let them, was good for me, and him. We stayed in the trench, ready for the battles that were staged. A fake bomb came very close to going into our trench, and when it went off we ducked, but the sound of the explosion stays in my mind. Was so loud we couldn't hear for awhile, that taught me to be very cautious while in battle. 

Yep I did a stint in the military, but never became a soldier for real, but I do have an understanding. I understand enough to know that I'm happy I just have a cold, not missing body parts, or worse. 

Today I'll walk about freely, in a country that has been in many wars, also a country that has evolved with freedom and basic personal rights that many countries still do not have. I have no fear of being hurt as I walk about. 
Yes I'm in an RV park, but I feel the same walking about in downtown Yuma, or in our home town Port Alberni. 

As I write this I'm watching Polly building a bell for Christmas, she came up with an idea, and away she goes. I have no desire in building decorations, but Polly has the drive to decorate this year, I'm sure the trailer and our site will look great. I may have to do something to help, but so far it's limited to get the glue gun, and how does this look. That's the easy part. 

I love our life, free do do as we please 🤗❤️


No comments:

Post a Comment