Tuesday 12 December 2023

Transition or Transmision what day is it today?

Christmas will be here soon 😃🎄

Yesterday our truck, "Rambo" we call it, went to the transmission shop here in yuma. The transmission has been acting odd, not shifting properly, so made an appointment last week for a repair. Darcy followed me there to drop it off and give me a ride home after. When I went to the shop last week and made the appointment I talked with the owner, Stan's his name, he seemed very knowledgeable and I felt comfortable he would resolve the problem. In talking with him I found out he was 76 years old. No retirement for him, he's going to keep working as long as he can he said. 

I wondered to myself if that's the magic in life, keep working? I say keep busy, and doing what you love will keep you busy and happy.  Stan has all he wants I believe, he's happy working, and he controls his destiny. He can work lots, or little, although he seemed busy, no lack of work here in Yuma. 

I was surprised when he said he was 76, he looked more like 50! I did a quick assessment on me, and that got me thinking, did I quit to early? I know I didn't, I had a mission to fulfill,  travel the world, well at least some of it, still so much to see. 

I'm happy to say Stan fixed our Rambo up just fine, shifts great again, maybe even better than before. The bill was reasonable, he installed a part that I was told to get a couple years ago, and I did, but never got it installed as I was waiting to get to the guy in Indio that told me about it. I'm thinking maybe I should have done this awhile ago, but I'm always "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it". 



On our way back from the transmission shop in the morning talking with Darcy,  I said how being without my truck gave me a helpless feeling,  he agreed. I said I compared it to a woman without her purse! We both laughed a little,  but it does give me a helpless feeling,  as ya just can't get up and go where or when ever you want. 

I think now of all the traveling we've done, and Rambo has taken us to most everywhere we've gone. Polly, she pats the dash and talks to Rambo every once in awhile, says "Good Job Rambo" and says it with gusto! We have been fortunate, Rambo has given us many wonderful miles, or in Canada Kilometers 🇨🇦 lol. Still when our trucks tied up or having a problem,  I feel 😕 grounded. 

Today,  even if I don't need to drive anywhere,  just knowing Rambos OK,  I feel good, complete, knowing I can go and get back from where I want at my discretion. 

This weekend we will travel to Los Angeles to spend time with friends that will have traveled from Ontario. They have their family coming to join them for Christmas, so catch them before the Christmas time starts, be nice to catch up with them. Also other friends that live in LA,  a vist with them too be nice. 

Christmas will be here soon, and the funny thing is, the day will pass and like many before POOF it's done. The stores will start the next day advertising,  the doors will stay open longer, the deals will be advertised,  just like Christmas never happened. The machine continues,  and the people that direct this just keep looking for more,  and better ways to sell us more of what we don't need.  

I remember not long ago going through stuff another man had after he was gone. Tools he had bought, and never used, stuff he thought maybe he'd use. Made me think then as now how we are, shopping for what we always wanted, yet in our later years may not need now, but always wanted. 

I bought a few tools this year before Christmas,  I believe I'll get to use them, at least I hope so this spring on our return trip to Port Alberni.  

I'm kind of rambling today,  sun's up now,  days going to be sunny,  not as warm early,  but nice afternoon 😀  poker game at noon, with many friends around the table joking with each other.  Polly brought cookies yesterday to poker,  she was so glad that all the cookies were all eaten 😋  Polly gives love with her baking,  that I know for sure. She also gets enjoyment watching the cookies disappear,  knowing people loved what she made. 

We all get in life what we want, or need, by our efforts that we put into what we do. I'm doing this, I enjoy it, if you do, that's 👍 great. 

I heard Polly stirring,  8:24 now, and here she comes, that was a good sleep 😴 

Another day in our blissful existence here in Yuma, all's good now, Rambo is good to go, suns up, quiet right now,  but people out walking already,  guess that'll be my next move, a walkabout,  and a swim before poker today.  

Life's good, Love ❤️ our life! 









No comments:

Post a Comment