Friday 19 May 2023

Thoughts on our past & our cell phones today.

My first project completed at Polly's request


Polly & I watched a film yesterday, was the new film "Air" about Nike and it's relationship with Michael Jordan, was really good show. One of the things we both noticed was as the film took place years ago, in the 80s there were no cell phones yet. This looks odd watching them go to a phone booth, or a wall phone or desk phone. Much of the film was about communication with each other, so phones were a key point to this. 

It made me think just how in such a short time our society has changed. Many people now do not think about this, they grew up with cell phones, video games, internet everywhere, and all communication in their hands, beside them all the time. What a huge change, most take this all for granted now, like it's their right to have this available at every moment. I laughed just now as I tap away on the phone, how darn easy it is to communicate now. A message here, a message there, I peck away, while the young people use both fingers, and are so darn fast! 

I can remember the first time I used FB market place, and listed our boat, I got a message giving me a bid on the boat, I was surprised, something I had no experience with before. That was a short time ago really, September 2007 we sold our boat, as we had begun our change the year before by selling our home. A message to me with what they're willing to pay was so different from my old experience. I expected a phone callπŸ˜†

Before we had to advertise in the paper, in print, with paper billing, and going to the newspaper to submit your add. WOW have things changed, and thinking back now, so darn fast! I could post something on FB market place now, right now, and it's on right away, and so many look there every second of the day. Amazing, the part I'm thinking is so different is it's all done with no interaction with people, even the transfer of $$$ go online, and often the product is on the curb, no contact with people. 

This leads me to thinking about how we as a society operate now, see in the film the main character had to make a big decision to go talk with Michael's parents, this in our new way gets missed. I'm used to talking face to face with someone, this I believe is a step we are missing in our new and evolving way of life! 

I like to use this phone, I enjoy the benefits, but when I shop, or get some work done for me I like to talk with the person that is about to do whatever, fix my car, trailer, boat, whatever. Cut my hair, or doctor visit, in person, not on the phone. I like this as so much is determined in person, that is different than on this device. 

Old fashioned? I'm sure this is now, but for me it's what I like, and many others do too. The new generation though, they are so used to doing everything impersonal now, they are growing up learning to operate without the personal experience. This I believe is a mistake in our society. 

I'm just another older person looking back, and seeing what was, and comparing to what is. Where will this take us? Who knows, but I'm very happy to have had the experience of knowing both, hoping our young people that are all over the get out get healthy, eat right, live clean, get that the phone is a tool, but not our life! Our interactions with people, many different people, from all over help us all live better together. 

We are not the same, all of us, yet we have so many things in common, and I believe we need face to face communication to make it work, just like in the film, if the main character didn't make contact with the parents, this story may not have been told as it has! 

Such a good story, such a great man. Watch itπŸ˜€

Then let me know what you think, maybe we'll meet and talk, face to face πŸ˜πŸ˜†

I hope this leaves you thinking, as it does me. 

Now Polly wants to go shopping, off we go, Polly shop's, I talk with people, it's Port Alberni, I know many people here, and love the experience of talking with them. πŸ€—❤️


No comments:

Post a Comment