Sunday 1 October 2023

Sunday morning just north of the 55th parallel


A trip to Rainbow lake yesterday was needed to store Chris & Ciara's car's for the winter, and check on the trailer that's on the property as well as assess the water pipe situation as it froze last winter and don't want that to happen again. All went good, the shop that's on the property is huge, so got 4 mustangs in it with room to spare, 

Might be the last time I go there, never know. I was happy to help Ciara, get the cars there, and see that area one more time. We are fortunate we didn't try to go last weekend, as the fire there went over the road and burned some of the power poles, was a huge fire that knocked out the power to Rainbow lake. 

As we travel into the town, about 5 or more kilometers along both sides of the road was completely black, right up to the road. So devastating looking. We hear of fire's this summer, but this is my first time seeing this so close, and so late in the year, and it's still burning 🔥 up there. Because we got rain, and the smoke is gone in GP we think it's out, but this let us know the fires, many are still going. 

The trip up was solom, I left about 6:30am, was on my own towing a trailer with Chris's 65 mustang inside, and the morning was really foggy. Had to really watch out, visibility was poor. Ciara came later in her car, and Brett in Chris's other mustang, a prade of mustangs. 

I stopped once the daylight came, a pee and a good look at the beauty as the sun started to show it's light. Took a few photos, and drove on to Manning where I gassed up. I remember Chris talking about many places as he drove this highway so many times, and often he'd call and say I'm at, wherever he was, the calls almost always ended with no connection, he was loosing me hed say, or I might loose you. 

Of course that's exactly what would happen, most of the time that was the end of the call, unless he hadn't finished, something yet to tell me, like "you should see this barn!" Or I just saw the biggest Buffalo, or "you should see what I just saw" always something to see along this highway. 

I'm glad I went yesterday, Ciara needed the hand, and I was happy to help. On the other side of it, it was just another way of connecting with Chris and his past.and just seeing what he saw again remembering his words, and understanding his feelings and why he loved it up here so much. It's all beautiful, just not my place to want to live now. Although I understand why he loved it. 

On our way back Ciara sat up front, Brett and his two children sat in the back seat, was a long ride, but smoke breaks, and run around the car play breaks, and Manning gass up stop was all fun. Ciara and I had alot of "Chris" conversation, as we traveled, was nice to stumble through how he was on the road, the calls, the sights, remembering him each our own way. 

Brett lives in Chris's shado, he's a very patient man, and Ciara knows this must me hard on him, but still I'm sure they love each other, seeing how they are together. How they are developing a relationship even with the presence of Chris's memory so close. I'm happy for them. Moving on after something like this is not easy, and how you do it is your way, we all handle it in our own way. 

My way was solom on the way to Rainbow, the radio on and off many times, be a song come on that I said, dam I can't listen to that! "Cat's in the cradle" came on, had to shut it off half way, just too much. Was sung by a country singer, was nice but just too much for me. 

The thoughts and sights were beautiful, as the fog parted on the way over Peace river towards Dunvegan I remember stopping there with Polly on our way up to Rainbow to camp a week to be near Chris. Him and Ciara followed with the tent trailer, was a fun week, with a couple hiccups, as our trailer had some spring troubles,but with Chris's connection there, and the mechanic Don that's been there over 30 years, we got it fixed. I will never forget this time in Rainbow, bugs were bad, and the town seemed bleek, but Chris just loved it! 

I didn't really understand, but I do a little more now, it is peaceful there, off the beaten path. Small town friendly, I like that, on our way outta town I fueled up at what's left of a store there, and the guy that was on duty and I talked a bit as he rung in my sale, he was in his last year of school,grade 12. He asked me "guess how many will be in my graduating class?" I said I didn't know "3 people" he said, WOW. That's way to small a town for me. 

The country looks beautiful, but not a place for me to stay, just to remote, but for Chris it was great, he worked there, had his quad there to ride around on, could shoot there, he loved his guns, many roads around to check out, buddy's from work to hang out with, life was good. I can't imagine that for my life, but for him it was just great 👍

He'd travel home every other weekend, another honeymoon 😄 he joked, visit with his family,  he had it all! 

We got home to Ciara's about 10pm, all tired and just wanted to get to sleep. Unpacked the stuff outta the truck, had our quick goodbyes, and off I went home to Polly. I kept the trailer on, will return it today. 

Not an earth shattering day, but the amount of emotion squeezed outta me was lots! I'm still kinda reeling from it this morning, interesting looking back, and seeing what was, as well was seeing what is. I know life goes on, we all say that, but sometimes you just cringe at the thoughts. Believe it or not, this helps, even with the Kleenex beside me piling up, it helps to put it down here, fumble through the thoughts. 

I'm no freaking pro at this, but I'm learning every day what grieving is all about. Today I cry, for now, in a few hours I'll be like, I'm Ok! And that's just how it goes, a little at a time I'm moving forward. 

Ok enough of that, what's next! 

Sunday morning coffee ☕☕done, breakfast I'm thinking is soon. Still dak at 6:45am, I guess I'll have to wait. 


Another day in paradise ❤️🤗 love this life 🤗

No comments:

Post a Comment