Friday 5 June 2015

Friday, a week complete


Once I get to Friday all seems good. My shoulder is feeling better, as I have adapted to do the jobs with more care, trying to keep away from more injury.  At work everyone is looking forward to the weekend,  a nice weekend is ahead of us, sunny and warm. Going to the Legion tonight, a few beers at the meat draw, and talk with friends about what our week was like, and what we will do for the weekend.

Tomorrow I will lead the Ladysmith Photo Club to Botanical beach by Port Renfrew for the day, will be getting many pictures of low tide, and the beautiful ocean's tide pool life. Should be a beauty day, so far I hear there will be 9 of us making the trip.

 Last time I was at Botanical beach there was over 25 years ago with my kids when they were young. Our family used to camp at Port Renfrew with friends,  Steve and Belle Cayer  for the July long weekend. Steve and I would go diving for abalone and crabs, and we would enjoy a feast afterward and a campfire to bring us all closer. I loved  camping on the sandy shore of the Indian reserve campsite, no heavy rules of the more organised campsites. Kids could play and run free to explore the beach and dogs could run free with no worry of getting in trouble.

WOW, Seems like years since I have thought of those times. We did have many good times during our trips camping, we were really good friends and camped many places mostly where Steve and I could dive. Toquart at Easter, Renfrew July 1st. We didn't have a boat then, and just dreamed of when we could splash into the water off our own boat. When Linda, my ex wife and I split, our friendship changed. I tried a visit to their place when I got together with Paulette, but not the same. Memories are still good though, and that never gets taken away.

 One memory I have from Port Renfrew is when I went for a wander one evening to see what all the hubbub was about close to the water, there was a nice fire close to the water, and people throwing nets in and dragging them back. Was I in for a treat, the people were Portuguese, very friendly and were fishing for Smelt I was told. They were very excited, and were happy to share what they had caught, as well as some of what they were drinking, some kind of wine if I remember right. They said after they get a set of the net, they would take the fish they caught and roast them on the fire, on a stick like we would do marshmallows. Just insert a pointy stick in the mouth of the fish, and push till firmly planted, then roast and eat right off the stick, guts and all.... Ewe was my first thought, till they prompted me to eat it, and when I did then I knew what all the hoopla was about. I was pleasantly surprised, man was it good.

Allot of words to describe one beauty memory hey!

 Just think, I gotta head full of them. Beauty memories.  Everybody does. Sometimes it is good to just think of the things we have done, and realize what a good life we have had... So far

New memories is what will be created this weekend, as we have a dinner in Courtenay  Saturday evening with friends. Will drop Bosco off at my sister Joy, and Dan's place so they can dog sit for a night. We plan to go to Port Alberni Sunday to visit with Uncle Doug, and Ted and Cindy.  Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment